Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why not API as a CI (configuration item) ?

Alexis L April 27, 2021

hi

I have never seen APIs in CI lists.

why ??

2 answers

0 votes
elarchitect October 7, 2021

I would agree that the 'API' itself would not be in a CMDB as a CI.

However, I would consider 2 related points:

a) API-End-Points may very well be CIs.

b) APIs may exist as 'Products' since APIs have a lifecycle as well

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

Well, I've already explained why an API (and hence its endpoints) isn't a CI itself before.   They don't meet the definitions.

API as a product though - I'd qualify that as "a component of a product", but yes, they should be considered as products.  I mean, an API on its own is not a product because it's utterly useless without the thing it is an interface to, but it's certainly a distinct part of a product.  (Just thinking of Jira, you've got Jira, the java API, the REST API, and then all the other bits - Java and REST APIs for Software, Service Management, Insight, Advanced roadmaps and so on)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

Because APIs are not configuration items.

Alexis L April 27, 2021

why aren't they considered as CI ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

What do think a configuration item is?

Alexis L April 27, 2021

I got this definition from IBM, and I think APIs has the characteristics :

A configuration item (CI) is any service component, infrastructure element, or other item that needs to be managed in order to ensure the successful delivery of services.

Each CI has several characteristics:

• A classification, or type, which indicates what kind of item it is.
  • Attributes, which vary by classification and describe the characteristics of the individual CI.
  • A status value, which represents the CI's state in the lifecycle used for CIs of this classification.
  • Relationships, which indicate how the CI is related to other CIs.
  • An owner, the person who is responsible for the CI.

CIs vary in complexity, size, and type. They can range from an entire service, which may consist of hardware, software, and documentation, to a single program module or a minor hardware component. The lowest-level CI is usually the smallest unit that will be changed independently of other components.

Like Simon Cross likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

And there you go - the API does not have a variation of classification, a status, relationships with other things or an owner (beyond it belonging to the system you are in).  They are not even configured in any way.

I am not sure you really mean "API" now.

Alexis L April 28, 2021

all right, thanks !

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders