Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade Jira 8.6 with Service Desk 44.6

Ben Yip December 21, 2021

Hi there,

I had a few failing attempts to upgrade our Jira Software 8.6 with Jira Service Desk 4.6 to the latest version by following this document:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-installer-938846937.html 

I used installer method. In the document, it does not mention to stop Jira. Now, I have the following question:

Do I have to stop Jira before running the .exe (installer)?

I did try to stop by running stop-jira.bat & not stopping Jira. Both attempts I encountered this error.

common_error_on_3_attempts.jpg

I believe I should have missed something here. Please help.

If anyone went through the same upgrade process, could you please share your step by step instruction? or share which is the most appropriate document I should follow.

Thank you in advance

Ben

1 answer

1 vote
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2021

Hi @Ben Yip 

It's better to stop jira before starting upgrade(usually the upgrade process will attempt to stop jira services)

Try to close all files related to jira. You can stop jira by going to "Services" option in Windows and find Atlassian Jira Service and Stop that. After that start the upgrade process.

The document you are following is the correct one.

Regards,

Vishwas

Ben Yip December 21, 2021

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.

I have just completed another attempt of upgrade via installer (jira-software). It went through well without any error. The trick is to right-click the .exe and run as administrator. I did not even stop Jira and installer took good care of it.

I brought back all customerization to the server.xml . Now, I can use the original HTTPS url to access but ended up with a MySQL error: 

==============================================
Database: We've found an error in MySQL supported version!
The database setup is not supporting utf8mb4
See our documentation for more information on setting up MySQL 5.7
==============================================

MySQL-error.jpg

Can you point me to the right documentation for this error? I guess my upgrade process is almost completed. 

Thanks

Ben

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2021

Hi @Ben Yip 

You may have to setup new MySQL DB version 5.7 and do a back/restore of the data.

official doc for setting up Jira with MySQL 5.7 https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-966063305.html.

there is one great answer here about this please have a look at here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Issues-with-MySQL-5-7-and-Jira-8-12/qaq-p/1513631

Hope this helps !!

Regards,

Vishwas

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events