cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

support.ourdomain.com - when?

Michael Woffenden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2020

We are currently on JSM Server and are very happy with it. So moving to Cloud or Data Center would be a huge disruption.

In terms of any possible move to Cloud: A must have feature for our company is the ability to have our own custom domain – we currently use support.ourdomain.com (for JSM) and kb.ourdomain.com (for Confluence).

To even consider a move to cloud, we would need this.

When will this feature be available in Cloud?

Note that anything like our.support.atlassian.net does not qualify!!!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2020

This is a long-standing blocker to a lot of people, one of many good reasons I think Atlassian should not have killed server.

Atlassian started to work on it a while ago, but then stopped.  The public story is at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-6999 but the bottom line is that Atlassian have no public timescale for doing it.  The last update was over a year ago and just says "we're working on bringing this to Cloud premium" (Even if they do manage it, I doubt it will be done for standard and free Cloud systems)

Michael Woffenden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2020

Thanks Nic.  Totally agree that killing off Server is their worst idea ever.

I'm not going to mark this as "accept answer" because I hope Atlassian will jump in here. 

We must keep this vital feature in front of Atlassian.

Michael Woffenden
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2020

One more thing that could be a game changer.

A recent Oct 2020 comment from Dave Meyer at Atlassian mentions an interesting option: "Ability to host the Jira Service Desk customer portal on a custom domain for external or customer-facing support". 

This I'm guessing this would look like this :

• Admins login at mydomain.atlassian.net
  • The Customer Portal is at support.mydomain.com

If they can pull this off I suspect a lot of people could live with it.

Another question for Atlassian.  Regarding a linked Confluence site and the above scenario implemented.  Using "kb" as an example, which of these would be possible?

• kb.mydomain.com - (my favorite)
  • support.mydomain.com/kb - acceptable
  • support.mydomain.com/wiki - less acceptable
  • mydomain.atlassian.net/wiki - don't like this at all
Marcel December 17, 2020

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud

Look for Custom Domains... you'll find: 2022. (...)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

I don't think killing Server was a bad idea in itself.  But killing server when the alternatives are unsuitable  certainly is.  There's three alternatives:

Migrate to something else (bad move for Atlassian)

Migrate to DC (excellent move, but way too expensive for many)

Migrate to Cloud (simply isn't ready enough for most Server users, far too many functions missing or wrong)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events