Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"ORDER BY priority" in the Swimlane query doesn't seem to work

Ian December 17, 2020

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck with a rather weird issue. We have a Jira Service Desk project, and I have created a personal Kanban board based on a filter (shows all open tickets).

I have set up several Swimlanes that are based on queries and discovered that I can use the ORDER BY in the swimlane JQL query. Now I want to sort certain swimlanes by issue priority.

I have disabled any sorting in the filter the board is using, the rank is also disabled.

Now I want to do something like this for the swimlane:

"Time to first response" = completed() ORDER BY priority DESC

But the "order by" part seems to be completely ignored in this case. Although this

"Time to first response" = running() AND "Time to first response" >= remaining(2h) ORDER BY "Time to first response" ASC

works fine.

What could be the issue?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

> "discovered that I can use the ORDER BY in the swimlane JQL query"

Who told you that?

Swimlanes can't do anything with order by, because the board filter determines the order on the board and swimlanes are part of the board.   It's valid JQL, so the system accepts it in the JQL definition, but it doesn't do anything with it.  (Slightly annoying that it passes validation, there's an open request for the swimlanes to reject order-by clauses, and a closed-won't-do one with enabling sort in swimlanes)

Ian December 18, 2020

Well, that was my conclusion based on that is auto-suggests it and accepts it. 

Indeed, I have double-checked and it doesn't work at all. This is really confusing and I don't see why this can't work in theory. A higher-level (higher than filter order) order by would be a neat addition.

Thank you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Yeah, it's a pain.  A quick fix would be a warning on the quick-filter and swimlanes screens that says "don't bother with order here, it ain't going to do anything", a better fix would be to not validate JQL if it includes a sort. 

I'm not sure implementing sortable swimlanes would be a good idea without thinking through the UI/UX very carefully - I know just sorting swimlanes in the current UI confuses people (expereinces from doing it with post-its that matched the board)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events