Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving issues from one project to another project

Hoc September 17, 2020

Hello,

I want to move issues from one project to another.

I've recreated the same fields on my new project but when I try and move its telling me to enter new values for the fields? I thought that if the fields have the same names it should be able to detect it automatically and copy it over?

I noticed that its also showing fields that shouldnt even be on the issuetype?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

Hi @Hoc ,

What kind of situation?

• classic project to next-gen
  • classic project to classic
  • next-gen project to classic
  • next-gen project to next-gen
Hoc September 17, 2020

Hey Olllie,

from next-gen to next-gen.

I also tried to use the 'retain' option and that didn't work either.

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

As far as I know, in next-gen projects, custom fields are completely independent, and you can regard them as different fields.So you need to manually match them during the migration.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

Correct

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Hoc September 18, 2020

Hello,

What did u mean manually match them? As in manually set the value fora each field for each issue?

Thank you

0 votes
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2020

Since you are mentioning recreating the fields i will assume that you are working with at least one next-gen project. 

Next gen projects are not a good way to work in if you need to move issues between projects. Most data will not transfer between projects and will not be recreated see.   

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects/ 

So expect this data to get lost when you migrate between projects:

• Custom fields
  • Story points estimation
  • Reports
  • Report history
  • Parallel sprints
  • Project and issue keys
  • Versions and releases

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN