license

dujas December 16, 2021

Hi All,

Finally, we are approaching to buy the license.

I have a question regarding license:

Say we buy a license for Jira Service Management 100 agents 1 year and apply it to our application A (20 agents there, 80 agents left), can we apply this license again to another environment? If there is something wrong with application A and we have to tear it down for rebuild, will the agents number be affected?

Thanks.

Jason 

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2021

No, you can not.

Your licence for 100 users is for a single production server (or DC cluster), it is illegal for you to use it on a second production system.  If you have a second system, you will need to buy another licence for that.

(This changes a bit if you have Enterprise licences, but it's unlikely you'll be looking at those if you've only got 100 users)

I've explicitly said "production" in there because a server/dc licence does allow you to create develepment, test, disaster-recovery, upgrade-planning and other systems you might use for supporting the main production system.

Your licence comes with a "developer" licence you should use for all of the supporting systems.  If you go into your atlassian account and find the main licence key, look beneath it for a link to "developer licence" where you can grab a copy of the key.

Daniel December 19, 2021

Hello @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Thanks for correcting me, so if one license is ever used in a previous data center production and gets damaged. Using again to a fresh data center production with the previous license. So need to buy a license again? the license can read the previous server-id if implemented again to the new data center?  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021

This does not make any sense, there's no way to "damage" a licence.

Daniel December 20, 2021

sorry, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, I mean the previous data center get damaged. and with fresh data center can re-use the previous license. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2021

Ah, I see, I'm not sure yesterday was one of my better days to be reading stuff.

Your DC licence entitles you to run a single DC instance.

It could be one or many "hardware" nodes in it, but all the same single Jira instance - people go to https://yourjira.org and get the same system served up to them, no matter what node they actually end up using.

If a disaster of any sort wipes out all of the DC nodes you have, yes, it's a bad thing, but your licence for Jira still says "you can run a DC instance of Jira".   It does not matter that your current install has failed, you still own the right to use a Jira DC install.

TLDR: Yes, you re-use the previous licence.

Like Daniel likes this
0 votes
Daniel December 16, 2021

Hello @dujas 

If you buy a license for jira service management with 100 agents for 1 year (20 agents registered, 80 agents unregister remain) in your data center my answer is yes, you can. 

Your agents number is not affected except your active agents reached near a license tier to 101 agents. 

If you want to apply license again use to another environment let say development jira, you can apply that license development in your myatlassian.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events