how can I auto-populate the Summary and Component/s fields?

IT Support July 8, 2020

I would like to have the Summary and the Component/s fields in an issue to auto-populate when the issue is created.

Is this possible and how?

Thank you,

Jackie

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vimal Venugopal July 8, 2020

For each of the fields you can set an auto populate value , so that once you create an new issue it will auto populate the default values.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2020

@IT Support - Jackie, this is possible.

On a given request form, you can:

• hide the "Summary" field, then set what its value will be for every issue created via that form
  • add the field "Components" to the request form, then hide it, then choose the components added for issues created via that form

Let me know if this makes sense, and if that helps!

Tonia Sylvan January 4, 2021

Hi Dave,

Can you give the instructions on how to set the value for the Summary Field?

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2021

@Tonia Sylvan - hi Tonia! Edit the Request Form where you want to set a default value for the Summary field.

Hide the "Summary" field. Jira will prompt you to set what Summary should be set to when an issue is created.

Note:

• this applies to Jira Service Management for Data Center, or for JSM Cloud (and not for Jira Software), and
  • requestors will not be able to adjust the Summary value you set.

p.s. If you have more question, use the "Ask the community" link in the header and create a question! This current question (originally submitted by "IT Support") is already marked as solved, and not all answerers might be watching already-answered questions. 😊

Tonia Sylvan March 12, 2021

Thanks.

0 votes
IT Support July 9, 2020

So my next questions are:

1.   If I as part of the Service Desk team (Ops) create an issue instead of Raise a request how do I auto-populate the Summary and Components fields?

2. And in the Request types can I set some of the Request so that only Ops can see and use them?

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2020

@IT Support - I suggest starting separate threads for new questions. But while you've got our attention...

1. Out of the box you can't auto-populate "Summary" or "Components" when creating issues via Jira's header. There's a variety of Marketplace add-ons that can help you do this. You CAN set default values for custom fields that you create. These default values can be specific to a Jira project (a custom field context), or globally set for all Jira projects.
  2. Again, out of the box you can't permission request types/request forms to individual groups/roles/whatever. You can only permission on the Jira project or Jira service desk level.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events