Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

follow up function via workflow - creating subtask when Status changed

Morten Dieckmann-Keden April 24, 2023

Hello,

we are currently looking at the possibility of using Jira Service Management in the Data Center version.

I would like to add a follow up function via workflow.
When the status "Waiting for CAB approval" is agreed during the change management process, a subticket should be opened.

Furthermore it is very important that all Changes in the subtask are shown in the parent task

How do I get this to work?

Many thanks for a fast response in advance.

1 answer

1 vote
Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2023

Hello @Morten Dieckmann-Keden 

Let me start with the disclaimer that I am only familiar with JSM Cloud. However, I do believe that the general workings are the same.

What you are looking for is an automation that triggers on a status change.

You can than have that automation create a new issue with a certain type and create a link to that newly created issue for the trigger issue. 

Something like this:

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 16.30.49.png

After that, you need to have an automation that monitors the changes that you would like to see reflected on the linked issue. For instance, status changes, comments or value changes of certain fields. 

Since I don't know your exact requirements, I cannot give any more details but I am sure that you can figure it out if you spend a bit of time with the automations.

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Morten Dieckmann-Keden April 24, 2023

Hello @Paul Wiggers

thanks for your answer.

But I already did it the way you mentioned.

The Problem here was, that changes made in the subtasks didn't show up in the parent task the way I wanted!

In the automation editor I tried to create an action using JQL to show the changes made in the sub-task.

When I write {{issue.subtasks}}, all ticket numbers of all subtasks are displayed.

If I write {{issue.subtask}} nothing is displayed.

If I write {{issue.key}} I get the ticket number of the parent task.

Do you have a solution what to write instead?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2023

Sorry, but it is unclear what you want to achieve. Could you elaborate on which changes you would like to see reflected in the linked task?

Perhaps it will help if you can post screenshots of the current automation with all the details of the separate steps.

Morten Dieckmann-Keden April 25, 2023

Hello @Paul Wiggers

I would like every change that is made in the subtasks to be shown in the parent task.

Hello, @Paul Wiggers 

Maybe a more important question is the following.

If I write {{issue.subtask}} nothing is displayed in the parent task activity/comment section.

If I write {{issue.subtasks}} I get to see all subtasks numbers.

How does it work that I only get to see the issue number of the subtask where I changed a status?

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2023

I believe you can achieve what you want with an automation. Something like this should help you on your way

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 15.11.08.png

Of course, you need to change the trigger and the action to suit your needs but the gist is the same. It might require several automations to cover all the situations.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve with the smart values. They aren't required to target the linked issues.

My automation works.

I want to use the smart values to show the subtasks number in the comment section in the parent task.

Does this help you?

If I write {{issue.subtask}} in my automation nothing is displayed in the parent task activity/comment section.

If I write {{issue.subtasks}} I get to see all subtasks numbers.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events