Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable email notification when case is closed

Marek September 1, 2020

How to disable email notifications from jira service desk cloud when case is closed?

5 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marek April 29, 2022

Here's what I have done to stop those annoying Resolved-2-Closed email notifications:

1. Edited notifications
    • image.png
  2. Changed from "Generic Event" to "Issue Closed" event in post functions in the workflow:
    • image.png
  3. Disabled "Customer-visible status changed" in customer notifications
    • image.png

I wish I could just remove post function #5 and hopefully the above solution did not break anything else.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2020

Hi @Marek and welcome to the Community!

If you are simply trying to disable the notification that is generated when the issue moves from Resolved (or Canceled) to Closed, the solution given to me by Support was to disable "Customer-visible status changed" in the project's Customer notifications settings.

This will turn off any status change notifications that do not include a public comment, such as Reply to customer.

If this answers your question please consider marking the answer as Accepted, as this will help others find the solution in the future!

Darryl

Marek September 1, 2020

I want to disable email notification that is generated when case is closed and send to agents.

Marek September 1, 2020

image.pngThis is what I have changed but agents are still receiving emails when case(s) is closed.

Jayce Canale October 16, 2020

I believe I'm experiencing the same thing. I've removed everybody from the Issue Closed notification as well (like the image above). Has anybody found a fix?

0 votes
kees.van.leeuwen June 22, 2023

I have the same issue but as far as i can see in this thread there's still no definite solution available.

0 votes
Liz Willis July 28, 2021

Following as I recently started having the same issue.  I receive email notification every time a ticket is closed that I was associated with.  I disabled the Autowatch feature, but that has not solved the problem.

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2020

Are changes being made on the issue still after closure?

Cause then it is linked to the issue updated part. (and might be a best practice to restrict that).

Then if they are watchers or the assignee they will still get them when the "Issue Updated" is triggered.

Issue Closed will only handle the transition towards the Closed status.

Do you see what email they get exactly? Is is a notification template you can relate back to a specific action?

It can also be that you have a "Send Email" postfunction on the Transition to Closed (which is then not handled by the notification scheme) depending on whether you have some apps able to send emails.

Marek September 30, 2020

Those emails are generated by automation rule:

image.png

This rule came out of the box when I setup IT Service Desk.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2020

@Marek ,

All that that rules does it move the issue to the "closed" status. This doens't send email on its own.

The transition to the status however that could be an event that sends an email.

If the notification scheme doesn't send anything you can always see whether there is an email postfunction set up on the state transition on the flow itself.

(or see if there is another automation set up to send out an email when the issue goes to closed)

Marek October 1, 2020

So if I disable "Generic Event" I would not receive an email notifications when case is closed by the automated task?

image.png

Is that generic event used for anything else?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2020

I would not just remove the people from the generic event. That would indeed be used at other places.

Removing the Generic Event from the flow itself could be an option tho.

Marek October 16, 2020

I found it under workflow configuration but I'm unable to remove it. How do I remove the last post function step?

jira workflow post function.JPG

Jayce Canale October 16, 2020

Rather than removing it, just change it to 'Issue Closed'

Since you have removed all Watchers/Assignees/etc from Issue Closed, nobody should receive the alert

Marek October 17, 2020

Awesome idea and already in place. Thank you so much!

Like Jayce Canale likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2020

Keep in mind that if someone changes the notification scheme these things will start going again.

perhaps better to make your own custom event and link that to the transition?

Marek October 22, 2020

I'm still getting email notifications when cases are moved from resolved to close status. Here are my settings:

image.png

image.png

andreas_brueck1988 March 8, 2021

Hello together,

i have the same problem. The customers still get closed notifications via e-mail.

@MarekDid you finally find a solution? 

Regards

Andreas

Marek March 8, 2021

I did not and when time permits, I will learn how to create my own workflow to make sure those email notifications are not sent.

Dani Halle July 13, 2021

Has anyone found a solution? I can't stop a notification email to be sent to the Reporter once the ticket is transitioned from "Resolved" to "Closed"

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events