Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy email addresses in CC (custom field) to Request Participants

Agent February 23, 2020

Hi,

I am in the process of building a proof of concept for demo to management.

I want the user to be able to input email addresses in a CC field in the submit form and when user clicks submit, the email addresses are copied into the request participants field. 

Can this be done using automation or editing the workflow w/o having to purchase an add-on?

I found a few articles in the community but they refer to scripting (not free), post function (not cloud), automation add-on (no longer available?).

Thanks alot for the help!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2020

Hi @Agent 

The user adding an email to the CC field, are they emailing in a request or are they using the Customer Portal Form to raise a request?

Why do you want to add the CC? 

Only asking because when the customers (users are set up on the Portal, they are added into organisations. When the user creates a request and selects the option Share with (organisation) everyone who signed up in that organisation will receive an email notification alerting them to the ticket creation. (like a CC). However if the Share with option is not used, then it is the equivalent of the user creating a request, but not adding the CC to the request. 

-Mike

Agent February 24, 2020

hi mike,

the user raises a request via the portal. 

user will then have the option to copy people, if lets say the request would require approval before submitting. this way, its only a one-step process.

at the moment, for the user to inform others, user will (1) submit request via portal (2) once created, share or add people to participants. we would like eliminate the extra step.

thanks.

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2020

Hi @Agent 

Okay,  You can do all of this without adding people into a CC or Request Participant since Jira Service Desk has an approval process and it can be built into your Workflow.

One can also specify how many approvers are needed before the request can be worked on. (e.g. one customer manager to approve or one internal user to approve.

To start,

1. you'll need to add the Waiting for approval to your workflow. 
  2. Configure it and set up your transitions.
  3. You could also include the approvers field (built in Jira Field) onto your request form (where the reporter can add people as approvers OR the agent can add approvers to the request. Choices are good. 

Once the request has approval then work can start on it, or if approval is declined you can specify through your workflow what happens next.

I've included one of my workflows that has an approval process on it. 

Waiting for Approval.jpg

-Mike

Agent February 25, 2020

@Mike Bowen thanks! i got this to work for the approval.

what if, user just wants to copy someone without requiring approval?

for example, when user raises a request for performance issues in the ERP, user will copy our ERP vendor support team.  

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2020

@Agent Then I guess you could use some form of automation... There was an automation for Jira, but it's going to be incorporated into Jira (as they bought the company)... I would have recommended this plugin. It was very powerful, more so than the default automation. 

But presently I would say just add the people to the Request Participant. 

-Mike

Agent March 1, 2020

@Mike Bowen thanks for all the help! in that we will have to make-do with the 2-step process for now. hopefully the automation plugin will be available in jira soon for free. 

Like Mike Bowen likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events