Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i update an SLA that is already set for an issue?

ben friedman September 21, 2020

Hi,

in a project im working on, the SLAs are set according to the priority given to the issue.

The priority is set by a team than handles many tickets and the option for human error should be taken into account. 

When a ticket is created with, say P1, the SLA is 3 hours. But, in those 3 hours, if an agent sees the ticket and decides that a priority should be different, say, P3, then the SLA should be update to 1.5D. 

is it possible to have the SLA update if the field, upon which the SLA is based on, is updated? i've seen some questions and plugins around for restting the SLA which i thought of using as well for this.   

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2020

Hi @ben friedman 

That is how SLA works. You can create SLA goals based on different priorities.

Just create a new goal for those priorities.

Ravi

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ honored to have you answered :) ive been following your content online! :)

i can set a goal for each priority, but i want to be able to re-set it in case the priority updates. any suggestions?

Like Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ likes this
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2020

:) Happy to help. For reseting as mentioned by @Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}  you can try Time to SLA.

Ravi

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2020

Hi @ben friedman ,

Perhaps i'm missing something but shouldn't this be working like you want by default?

For me when I have an SLA with 2 goals:

Priority = High: Goal 4h

Priority = Low: Goal  16h

and I change the priority my goal is changed as well on my issue for that SLA. The counter of course keeps running as it should be.. changing a goal should not reset your counter, otherwise it would be an easy trick to just circumvent the breach.

You might need to refresh your browser window to see it but the case you are describing to me (change of the goal but not resetting the counter) should just be the out of the box functionality.

BEN FRIEDMAN September 21, 2020
  • @Dirk Ronsmans that's wonderful news. Thats actually the best scenario for what i need. I didn't get to testing it yet as i figured, in my mind, that changing the priority wont update the goal. Thats a lesson to take forward... Thank you for your answer!
Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
1 vote
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 21, 2020

Hi @ben friedman ,

If you want your SLA timer to reset and start counting from the beginning based on your goals for that priority, you can try Time to SLA

All you can do is select your priority on the priority field in the SLA configuration menu and enter priority as the SLA reset field.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 19.19.59.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-21 at 19.20.17.pngAfter the initial setup, you can easily clone this SLA, change the SLA Goal and priority fields and save this new SLA.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 19.20.44.png

You'll be up and running in no time!

If you don't use Time to SLa then when you change the priority, SLA will continue counting where it is originally started so for instance if 5 minutes has passed when the priority changes then 5 minutes will still be counted when you switch the priority which can be problematic.

You can also select different calculation methods such as Only First Cycle, Only Last Cycle and Largest Span with Time to SLA which then can be used to configure recurring SLAs.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 19.25.02.png

Let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Gökçe

Please note that I'm one of the folks behind Time to SLA so there might be other solutions out there  and I might not be impartial

sounds interesting! i'll give it a look.

Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 21, 2020

Perfect! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Gökçe

0 votes
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
September 24, 2020

Hello @ben friedman 

You can try SLA Time and Report, which tracks the SLA status for each task.

Regarding your issue, you can set Priority #1 as a Start condition, where 2 and 3 priorities will be a Stop condition. Then Priority 2 configure as Start condition, but 1 and 3 as a Pause condition.  This way when the Priority change, a timer will stop and the new one will be started.

I hope, it helps

Best regards, Mariana

Issue Tab.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events