basic JSD (tag-based) automations?

Alex Gerulaitis February 5, 2021

On a fresh JSD (Jira Service Desk) test project (Enterprise Jira v8.13), how would I set up an automation like this?

1. When: Ticket created via incoming email
  2. If: Sender's email address is "thermometer_555@hellonearth.com"
    ... and...
    Ticket subject contains "alert cleared"
  3. Then:
    1. Assign ticket to "red team" assignment group
    2. Set ticket type: "incident"
    3. Set ticket priority: P6
    4. Set ticket status: "pending"
    5. Post a Slack notification to a specific channel (optional)

Please assume there's nothing set up in the project: no users, no automatons - i.e. we're starting from scratch.

Thank you!

P.S. I've poked around automations in the project and see nothing there about email addresses. Perhaps I need to first set up a "user" (requester) identity and then the condition would be "if user is 'thermometer555'" - but then I see nothing in the automation builder that would let me do this - there's only "User Type" but not "User ID":

Jira automation - edit if - Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 5.50.54 PM.png

In Zendesk I'd "tag" the user with a unique tag and then use that tag in an "if" condition. In JSD (or JSM), I don't see a way of doing this.

P.P.S. Spent a lot of time setting up such automations in Zendesk - just need a nudge in the right direction with Jira. Here is how this is normally done in Zendesk:

1. A user is created with a unique tag, say "thermometer555"
  2. A "trigger" (aka event driven automation) is created based on the conditions listed above.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Benjamin Paton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2021

Hey Alex, 

I suggest trying the new automation engine (Automation for Jira).

I have included a screenshot to give you an idea how I would go about the requirements you have specified

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 8.24.43 pm.png

I hope that helps, 

Cheers, 

Ben.

Alex Gerulaitis February 8, 2021

Thank you! This seems to work in my free personal JSM instance - and not to work in my JSD project at work:

JSD 8.13 - Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 2.07.33 PM.png

Only two options seem to be available when adding an "if" condition: "User Type" and "Issue matches" - no "comparison" or JQL. If I choose 'Issue matches' - 'advanced' - 'creator = "thermometer555@hellonearth.com"' and 'save", get an error:

The value 'thermometer555@hellonearth.com' does not exist for the field 'creator'.

Attempting to preempt the error by creating a user with that email address fails as well - seems I can only choose an existing user but not create a new one from scratch.

Also see no "advanced automation" option in my test JSD *Jira v.8.13) project at work:

JSD 8.13 - project settings - Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 2.07.51 PM.png

Does it mean that the solution you suggested will not work in JSD 8.13? Or does it mean the administrators of the Jira instance at work have turned that "new automation engine" off?

Thanks again!

Benjamin Paton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2021

Hey Alex, 

Seems like you are using Jira Server and work and Cloud at home. The two products are slightly different.

Automation for Jira is included with Cloud, but is an add-on for Server. You can install it from the marketplace https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215460/automation-for-jira-server?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

There is likely a way to achieve the same outcome using the legacy automation engine. Below is how I would begin. You will need to have a user registered for that email, and you will need to have a request type that represents incidents. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 9.47.58 am.png

I hope this helps, 

Cheers, 

Ben.

Like Alex Gerulaitis likes this
1 vote
wwalser
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2021

Hi Alex,

I think automation can help with what you're describing and I understand that the learning curve for Jira can be intense. 

Based on what you've described in this post and the other https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Enterprise/Can-Jira-help-with-datacenter-incident-management/m-p/1604299#M490. I believe you're after some examples that you can get your hands on.

Bucketing, tagging, triaging based on creator's email address. Probably best to start here: https://blog.codebarrel.io/set-organization-in-jira-service-desk-using-reporters-email-domain-e705be9d4717

From there, we have a number of tag-based examples in the template library: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/labels/all/customLabelId/1453

I hope that gets you on the right track. If you get stuck after that point, more targeted community questions (or an Atlassian expert/partner) is probably high leverage. We keep an eye on automation related community questions.

Cheers,
Wes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events