anonymous customer interaction with JSM

Vivian Yau March 3, 2021

I created an IT help desk project at JSM, with 5 agents users. We allow anonymous customer to create issue via email/form/widget.

If a customer created an issue via Email channel, he/she is able to add comment by replying the email notification sent from JSM. This is good because customer can interact with our agents via email.

However, if a customer create an issue via other means, i.e. widget/ forms, when he/she is replying the email notification sent from JSM, it would be treated as a new issue instead of embedding it into the comment field of previously created issue. Why the JSM would not recognize such email reply message is indeed for an existing issue on request type rather than "Emailed request"?

Since our customer does not register JSM, they are unable to view issue from the customer portal, what is other alternative for them to interact with our agent (support personnel) ?

1 answer

0 votes
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2021

Hi @Vivian Yau 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Even when the request is created using the JSM Widget , replies to the customer are preserved in the Request. There shouldn't be any issue with new requests getting created , unless the customer keeps using the widget for adding new issues.

Also the widget makes sure the "Your contact e-mail"  is captured to maintain the conversation thread between the Customer & JSM Agents.

Vivian Yau March 4, 2021

I mean after customers created an issue via widget or forms, they would receive JSM email acknowledgement. If customers wish to add some supplementary information to the issue, they have no mean to do that unless they have access to the customer portal. So i'm asking for alternative communication channel for anonymous customer other than the customer portal as they are not registered Jira users.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2021

Based on my understanding so far a comment instead of a new request should be created as long as the key (f.e. SUPPORT-123) is not removed from the subject's line.
Can you confirm they kept the key but it is creating a new request nontheless?

Vivian Yau March 7, 2021

email_reply_issue.PNG

yes. I confirmed the key and subject does not change. It works for issues created by email channel (send an email to xxx@xxx.atlassian.net). But if I submit issue via Forms or widget, the email reply would be treated as a new issue with new key. I attached a sample for your reference. The issue logged with key "HOTS-44" via form. If I reply the notification email, it would create a new issue with key "HOTS-45", summary became "Re: HOTS-44 xxxxx".

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2021

I suspect this Suggestion to be a match - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-2373
It seems to me for non-registered customers (which I understood this is the case in your configuration) Jira Service Management is not able to match the incoming mail to the open request.

Vivian Yau March 9, 2021

If Customers create issue via portal form/widget:

1. Customer 1, who does not register JSM account raises an issue via portal form. He input his email (saved at "Reporter" field).
2. Customer 1 received JSM acknowledge email confirming JSM created an issue, provided KEY ID for reference
3. Agent responded to the JSM issue by adding comments
4. Customer 1 received email notification that an agent responded to his issue. Since customer 1 does not have JSM account, he cannot login JSM customer portal to see Agent 1's reply. Therefore, he replied JSM sent email.
5. That email reply to JSM would be treated as a new issue

If Customer create issue via email:

1. Customer 1, who does not have JSM account raises an issue by email channel
2. Customer 1 received JSM acknowledge email confirming JSM created an issue, provided KEY ID for reference
3. Agent responded to the JSM issue by adding comments
4. Customer 1 received email notification that an agent responded to his issue. Since customer 1 does not have JSM account, he cannot login JSM to see Agent 1's reply. Therefore, he replied JSM sent email.
5. That email reply to JSM would be treated as a comment of issue created in #1

Vivian Yau March 9, 2021

my case does not involve the 3rd anonymous customer. so it does not match https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-2373

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2021

I see, I tested your scenario as in 1.) but it added now a comment.

Is there anything visible from processing logs?

https://YourSiteName.atlassian.net/jira/servicedesk/projects/YOURPROJECT/settings/email

Customer permissions in my example are:
Service project access: Anyone on the web (without logging in)
Customer sharing: Customers can search for other customers within their organizations

And for global configuration:

Can customers create their own accounts? Yes, by signing up or sending a request
Can customers access and send requests from the help center without logging in? Yes

Vivian Yau March 10, 2021

JSM_email2comment_issue.PNG

Hi, 

Attached the email log. I've highlighted those email that was wrongly recognised as new request and their keys are not identified correctly.

Only requests submitted via email channel (e.g. HOTS-42) could be identified correctly.

So I wondered if a user reply an JSM email, it would first check whether such request was being logged in email before. If so, it would add it as a comment, otherwise count as a new request.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2021

Could you please share your settings? Please compare with them I mentioned earlier.

Is this happening with other mail senders also or just with the one you showed in screenshot?

Vivian Yau March 10, 2021

Customer permissions is same as yours. But I don't know where to find "global configuration". Please advise.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2021

It is reachable from:
https://yoursitename.atlassian.net/secure/admin/SDConfiguration.jspa

If this does not change anything and also appears with a different mail address I would be clueless and this somehow sounds like a bug?!

Vivian Yau March 11, 2021

The Global configuration same as your setting: both are "Yes"

Vivian Yau March 11, 2021

I tried with other customer account and it returned the same result.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD Trial
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events