Xray - Auto populate fields in Create screen with data from a Linked Issue?

reuben_hollifield November 25, 2019

We are using the X-ray App to run our Quality Assurance and Testing department. 

In the Xray app, you have the option to create a Defect issue straight from a Test case execution.  I would like to auto fill certain fields in the Defect with data that is already in the Test case execution.

In particular, I'd like to populate a custom field with a list of the "steps" that are detailed in the Test case. 

Here's what I'd like to do:

• User initiates Test Execution for the Test.
  • User encounters a Defect and clicks the "Create Defect" button in the Execution itself.
  • The Create screen appears for the Defect issue type (Jira automatically Links the Test issue to the Defect Issue already).
  • We would like Jira to automatically populate a field within the Defect's Create screen with the steps that are indicated in the Test.

Is this something that can be done through the API?  I'm not familiar with programming, at all, but wondering if this is possible.  

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
José Domingues [Xray]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 5, 2019

Hi Reuben, 

There is an Xray configuration that enables that option, to activate it you must access the "Add-on" tab on your Jira Administration Tools, go to the "Miscellaneous" window under the "Xray" section and travel to the "Defect Default Values" area:

image-2019-12-04-17-56-01-643.png

There you can enable the "Include Steps Table in Description" like it is shown on the image above.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards, 

Team Xray. 

Manisha Minde September 22, 2020

Hey Jose,

Is it possible to add bug template whenever we create bug ticket? Like in above question if I want to add some default text I have with me (say description, browser version etc.) Can I do that?

@José Domingues [Xray] 

Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2020

@Manisha Minde

No, currently, only the Test Steps are copied over to the New Defect if the mentioned option is enabled. No other fields are passed along, nor any extra data.

Best Regards, 

Sérgio

______

Solution Architect and Testing Advocate @Xray

Personal blog on testing, Agile and software development: https://sergiofreire.com

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/darktelecom

Sneha Kumari March 3, 2021

@José Domingues [Xray] 

Is the option "Defect Default Values" available in cloud instance also? Because I am not able to find the particular option under "Miscellaneous" section.

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2021

Hi @Sneha Kumari 

Due to the architecture limitation currently, it is impossible to have that option working on Xray Cloud the same way it works on Server.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Ami Panchal October 28, 2021

Hi... Can you confirm if the Defect Default Values option is not available in Cloud instance or it is not working 100% correctly like it works on Server?

When I had trialed the X-ray cloud I remember seeing this option but now when I actually have cloud subscription I am not able to see Defect Default Values under X-ray miscellaneous settings. 

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2021

Hi @Ami Panchal 

By not working, I meant the feature does not exist in Cloud, so it does not have the option Defect Default Values.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Reed Martin April 12, 2022

@Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter Hello, do you know if this has changed or updated at all? Is there any other potential workaround? Thank you!

0 votes
Rino Moen February 9, 2023

Hey, I would actually like to remove this feature. Looks like these guys are trying to get it, but I have it and I cant get rid of it. Any other way to just stop it from populating the description field?

0 votes
laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2019

Hello,

I think that you would need some kind of app to do this. If you are not familiar with programming I would try first with Automation for Jira, and if that is not enought then Scriptrunner.

good luck.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events