Workflow Transition Screens does not appear for Approval or Declined

Murthy Indian Forever April 1, 2021

I have set up an approval workflow, I have added a transition screen as approver have to give comment on their decision for approval or decline but the transition screen is not showing. 

The transition screen seems to only work when approval is not configured. But we need to capture the declined reason through comments on the transition screen. I even added a validator to make comments as a required field but the transition screen is not appearing.

2 answers

1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2021

Hi @Murthy Indian Forever

First of all, I can confirm that I followed the steps you've mentioned and indeed I confirm that the screen does not appear upon approval. However, if you add another status between the approval and the current status, then the screen appears correctly. 

UPDATE: Here (Configuring Jira Service Management approvals | Administering Jira applications Data Center and Server 8.16 | Atlassian Documentation) it states:

Transitions used by the approval step skip transition screens, so if your decline or approve transitions are going to a 'Done' status, add a post function that sets the resolution of the request so it's considered closed by Jira Service Management.

So I would assume that upon approval, they just skip the transition.

Proposal 1: I would suggest to add an additional status and then add your transition screen.

Proposal 2: Add a self transition called e.g. "Set Decline Reason" and then add this transition screen, and your post function with a resolution.

I would go with the 2nd option. Hope that helped!

Alex

Ragini Sharma June 14, 2021

Hi Alex,

I am wondering how would we configure self-transition in JSM as you stated in Proposal 2.

Please help. urgently required !!!

Thanks in advance!!

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2021

Hi @Ragini Sharma ,

Do you use any addons on your instance?

Ragini Sharma June 17, 2021

Yes. We have script runner, opsgenie etc. as add-ons.

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2021

@Ragini Sharma ,

After the approval of the issue you can add a self transition like the example below:

self-trans.png

However, the approver must click the transition in order to provide a rejection reason, or simply edit the field and place it.

There is no solution per se for this problem you are facing, since as I stated in my first reply, Atlassian is simply bypassing all conditions & validators.

Steve Dobrioglo September 27, 2021

Hello,

Did anyone get Alex's proposed solutions working? I've tried both 1 & 2 proposals and neither worked.

I'm in the same situation where I need to raise a custom "Deny Reason" screen and have to find a solution before Atlassian fixes the bug. Any other suggestions? Thank you!

-Steve

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

Hi @Steve Dobrioglo ,

What exactly is the problem in your workflow? The approver can't see the transition? The approver has the browse project permission?

Steve Dobrioglo September 28, 2021

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ ,

Thank you for the response.

I have a simple workflow requirement: "Approve", "Deny" and "More Info Needed". All users are in the "Service Desk Customers" role. Users can submit requests to their managers (Approvers) for training. When the manager denies the request, I need to show the "Deny Reason" screen with options and description for the denial but the transition goes directly to the "Resolved" status, without raising the custom screen.

As suggested, I've tried adding another status between "Waiting for Approval" and "Resolved", assign the screen to show on the last transition - it didn't work. I also created a loop-back transition as you suggested but that didn't work either - in both portal or service desk. Perhaps, I'm doing something wrong? Thank you much!

-Steve

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

Steve,

That's what I'm asking! Who is the approver? The managers/agents? If yes, they should be able to see the self transition. But do let me know and will take it from there!

Steve Dobrioglo September 28, 2021

Alex,

Yes, managers are the approvers and they are in the "Service Desk Team" role so they're agents. Requestors are in the "Service Desk Customers" role. Approvers can see the self-transition if I attach it to the "Waiting for Approval" status (item #1 n the screenshot) but then it's a two-step process: click "Reject Reason" transition in Actions, select some values from the screen, then click Deny button.

If I attach self-transition to an intermediate Deny status (item #2 in the screenshot), there's no pop-up screen coming up that is specified in the self-transition. It goes through to the Declined status immediately.

2021-09-28 15_31_12.jpg

Thank you!

0 votes
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 1, 2021

Hi @Murthy Indian Forever ,

confirming what @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ already suspected. In addition, see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4789 and watch for further updates.

Cheers
Thorsten

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events