Why no ability to edit outgoing mail server?

John Parker September 30, 2019

So, pretty much every program we use that utilizes email allows us to configure an SMTP mail server - except Jira Service Desk Cloud.  Any idea why this is or if there are plans to add this feature in the future?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2019

Hi John,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I'm not sure if you are talking about the address when Jira sends a notification for users and customers, but it's possible to configure Service Desk to send notifications using a custom email address.

For that, it's necessary to verify a domain. There are other steps before that, so first, if you are a site-admin, you need to create an organization, and then you will be able to verify a domain, which will allow you to change the project email.

If it's not the case, can you please let us know more details about your request?

Regards,
Angélica

Yeah - our domains are verified, but there is absolutely no reason anyone needs to have to go through all of that configuration to have an application send notifications using an account on their own domain.

We are using a half-dozen various software packages where it was simply a matter of entering the SMTP server, port number, encryption method and valid credentials to have that application send email from one of our own accounts.  As a matter of fact, if I recall correctly from when I was evaluating the on-prem version of Jira Service Desk, that is even how simple it was there.

And thank you for the welcome!  :-)  We haven't gone live yet with Service Desk, but are definitely liking what we see - minus this one sticking point so far.

@Angélica Luz 

In the link that you provided me for configuring Jira Cloud to send emails on behalf of your domain, the last step on that page is "Validate that SPF and DKIM configurations are correct" using the domain-check tool.  I have successfully done that.  Now what?  There is still no place in the Jira Service Desk Outgoing Mail Servers config to do anything other than enable and disable it.

2019-09-30_205659.jpg

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2019

Hi John,

The outgoing email in Service Desk is different, so we need to add the custom email directly in the project.

Please, go to Project settings > Notifications > Click on Screenshot 2019-10-01_10-03-13-211.png next to the email > Add the new address > Update.

If you face any issue, please let us know.

John Parker October 1, 2019

Under Project settings, I only have "Customer Notifications" not "Notifications".  Under Customer notifications, there is no option to edit an email address.

notifications.jpg

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 1, 2019

Thank you for the screenshot.

I’m sorry that I didn’t ask previously what type of project you are using.

I see that you are using a next-gen, but that option is only available for classic projects.

We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability for next-gen:

For now, if you want to use a custom email for outgoing, it’s necessary to use a classic project.

John Parker October 1, 2019

That's really too, bad.  Outgoing email address configuration is very basic functionality for a service desk, and I am confounded that it would be left out of the next-gen service desk.  Thanks for the link, I put my vote in for it.

I do appreciate all of your help with this, Angelica.  Thanks!

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Mark Robson May 19, 2021

Sorry to say using another domain email address wont work. We prevent any emails being sent using our domain other than from our own servers using DMARC.

We need to be able to use our own mail servers for this very purpose.

info August 1, 2023

Did this ever get implemented? As @Mark Robson suggests - google/ms have supremely locked down from where emails may originate and most real companies have SPF, DKIM and DMARC implemented thus forcing us to authenticate on our own mail servers to issue emails so they pass spam tests.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events