Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't automation for Jira loading in the free version?

Colen Shields May 12, 2020

Automation for Jira loads fine in my company instance of Jira, but in my free-version I'm trying out for home use, it just gives an error. I didn't see any restrictions on automation at a glance in the outline for free version so I was curious if I'm missing something or if it should be working. I've seen other posts where refreshing did the trick, but I've tried three different browsers, including a fresh install, rebooted, and confirmed non-free instances work in the same browser, in and out of incognito mode. Any thoughts? 

The error that pops up when it fails to load is:

"An embedded page at automation.codebarrel.io says
An unknown error occurred. Please reload and try again."

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2020

Hello @Colen Shields ,

Thanks for reaching out and the free platform should still allow you to access and use the automation features and I am not reconizing that error off hand, so we will need to do a bit of troubleshooting to narrow this one down.

But one point first you had noted "I didn't see any restrictions on automation at a glance in the outline for free version" however there are some variations on the plan level associated to avaliable usage for Automation.

The Feature limits between the license levels can be seen in Table in the "Plans and pricing"  page noting that the Free and standard plans have full access to the "Automation (single-project)" levels but have a reduced access level to "Automation (global and multi-project)"  if you select the "Automation (global and multi-project)" text it expands to give additional details on the feature noting:

Automation (global and multi-project)
Set and forget automation rules across multiple projects or your entire organisation. Global automation is the smartest way to scale. Premium users have 1000 global and multi-project rules per paid user per month. Ex: 200 users in Jira Cloud Premium will have 200,000 monthly global/multi-project rules per month. This is pooled across all Jira tools and all users.

Customers on free and standard plans have access to 100 and 500 global and multi-project rules per month respectively. Learn more.

And there is a more detailed breakdown viewable on the differences in the "Jira Cloud plans" documentation at the following link under the "Plans comparison for Jira Software and Core" and the "Plans comparison for Jira Service Desk" expandable sections:

And details on viewing the usage levels on your site can be seen in the article:

Next, a couple questions on the error to help narrow this one down

1. what is the path you are following when this error is being triggered
    1. i.e. Is this on global level or the project level rules
    2. does it occur only on a specific page or following a certain link / navigation path
  2. Can you check to see if the usage limits are exceeded 
  3. Can you load your browsers developer tools  javascript console and see if there are any additional errors displayed that could indicate other issues causing the failure
  4. Can you grab a screenshot of the behavior

Regards,
Earl

Colen Shields June 11, 2020

My apologies I didn't respond sooner! It has been a busy month and I didn't see your response.

The rules I was trying to set up were in a single project and the path was just clicking Project Settings>Project Automation in my Service Desk project and it generated that error. I created another test project for ITSM and it had the same issue no matter how I tried to get to automation. 

There were no usage limits being exceeded.

Questions 3 and 4 factor into me using past tense because I just logged in today and it's working as expected, no errors!

0 votes
Florian PEREZ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2022

You should try the following solution 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/upgrading-to-automation-for-jira-7-3-1055951956.html 

I experienced the same problem upgrading from 7,2- to 7,3+ and this have fixed my problem

The support helped a lot on this one to be perfectly honnest

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events