Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there a transition button showing next to the status and how do we configure it?

Nathan Given February 10, 2021

We woke up today to the Jira UI being different.  In the new UI on the right hand side, we used to see the current status and a dropdown that allowed us to transition the issue to the other available statuses.

Now we see one of the statuses that used to be in the drop down now show up next to the status:

I9F8l1X

How do we configure this so that we can either:

1) Turn this off so that all transitions show up after we cluck the dropdown button

or

2) Configure which transition shows up next to the current status?

I've already looked at the "opsbar-sequence" property on the various transitions... some have the property, most don't, and I can't find any relation between the opsbar-sequence and what I see in the UI.

I also have noticed that some of my transitions are italicized:

But there diesn't seem to be any explanation (that I can find) for that.

So, I'm stumped.  How can we configure the transition that shows up next to the current status?

3 answers

0 votes
Dan Brockwell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2021

Hey Nathan, I'm an Associate Product Manager in Incident Management for Jira Service Management.

We're currently looking to better understand how teams conduct their post incident review (PIR) / postmortem process and their key pain points / user needs.

Came across your feedback and would love to set up some time to learn more about how your team runs PIRs. Feel free to shoot me an email on dbrockwell@atlassian.com if you'd be open to having a chat :)

0 votes
Nathan Given February 11, 2021

Something to note: "Post Incident Review Needed" is a loopback transition: the origin and destination are both "In Progress".

I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Okay, I just removed the "Post Incident Review Needed" loopback transition and now the "Post Inicdent Review Needed" button is gone 

and

Dropdown honors opsbar-sequence.

Thus, it would appear that if there is a loopback transition, opsbar-sequence is ignored and the loopback is showed as a button directly to the right of the status button.

Hmm.

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

@Nathan Given -

Hi Nathan:

You need to ensure "obsbar-sequence" property setup is applied to all the outgoing transitions from the "In Progress" status in the desired ordering.  Afterward re-publish the WF.  The "obsbar-sequence" property controls the display ordering of the transition buttons/listings

Once it is done, then it should work as you expected.  

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin ,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, it didn't work.  I verified that every outgoing transition from "In Progress" has an opsbar-sequence value that is an integer, ranging from 10 to 500.

The transition that has the lowest opsbar-sequence is "Need Info":

But after publishing the workflow the transition button next to the current status remains unchanged:

FYI: "Post Incident Review" has an opsbar-sequence of 400 (which comes 5th in the list of transitions).

Deleted user November 10, 2021

Was there an answer as to why the button appears and how you could instead have it in the drop down? 

Jonathan Cunliffe November 10, 2021

I'd appreciate any input to the OP's question please. 

Why, in my case only for loop back transitions, is the transition appearing as a button with the other transitions from that status in the drop down?

How can all of the transitions be exclusively in the drop down?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2021

@Jonathan Cunliffe @[deleted] -

By default, there can be 3 WF transition buttons to be displayed and everything else will show up in the dropdown list.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2021

@Nathan Given -

I don't quite understand your reply.  What is the opsbar-sequence for the In Progress transition?  In addition, when you access your WF customization, does the transition all have the same transition ID?

Or you have multiple transitions for the same status?  If so, then you will need to conduct each opsbar-sequence properly against every transition to line up ordering.

Best, Joseph

Jonathan Cunliffe November 10, 2021

@Joseph Chung Yin  Thanks but that doesn't answer my question. 

For all of my workflows, the transitions appear exclusively in the dropdown.  I have a transition, that loops back to the same status, that instead of showing in the dropdown appears as button, the other transitions from that status appearing in the dropdown.

How can the 'buttoned' transition be forced to join the other transitions in the dropdown, or select which transitions are shown as buttons?

Thanks again,
Jonathan

Deleted user November 11, 2021

@Joseph Chung Yin  this wasnt really my question. My question echoes what @[deleted]  is also asking. Why does this "transitions" appear as a button and why it doesnt appear in the drop down list of statuses. Also how can we get the transition in the drop down?

Thank you in advance.

Panos

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2021

@Jonathan Cunliffe / @[deleted] -

Just to confirm that "Post Incident Reviews Needed" is an actual status or transition name to an status configured in your WF?.

If you removed the transition to itself on the status in question and publish the change, can you confirm that the transition button is then removed and it is showing up in the dropdown list?

Please advise.

Best, Joseph

Jonathan Cunliffe November 11, 2021

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin ,

To your second question, yes.  To your first, I'm not the OP but have a similar example.  Here's my workflow:

image.png

And what I see on an issue:

image.png

As you can see, 'Passed UAT' and 'Cancel', both of which transition to a different status, appear as Drop Down items.  'Failed UAT'  that transitions back to itself, is represented as a button.

If I change me workflow to direct the transition 'Failed UAT' to a different status I can see all three transitions as drop down options and nothing as a button.

Hope that clarifies the problem.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jonathan Cunliffe November 16, 2021

Any idea anyone please?

Nathan Given November 16, 2021

How familiar are you with Jira Automation?

Try creating a Failed UAT status and a transition from "In UAT' to the new failed UAT status.

Then create an automation rule that auto transitions issues from failed UAT back to in UAT.

Deleted user November 16, 2021

@Nathan Given  True but this doesnt answer the question. The question is why it appears as a button and how can we have it in the dropdown menu without having to create a separate Status

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2021

@Jonathan Cunliffe -

I am currently trying to repo your issue of having a status to have a transition back to itself.  Stay tuned.

Best, Joseph

Like # people like this
Nathan Given November 16, 2021

@[deleted] - 

@Nathan Given  True but this doesnt answer the question. The question is why it appears as a button and how can we have it in the dropdown menu without having to create a separate Status

Sorry about not answering your question. I'm not an atlassian employee, however, based on what I've read and my understanding, loopback transitions currently appear as buttons instead of appearing in the dropdown. (And they haven't made this configurable :-( ).

For whatever reason, atlassian decided to code things up this way. Perhaps their UX designers thought it was a great idea and unfortunately, that design doesn't work for everyone ( me included ).

We've just had to "workaround" the issue by living with it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events