Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't my custom email forward to Jira Service Desk any longer?

Denise Lindgren June 7, 2018

I successfully set up my custom email address several months ago, but we haven't gone live yet so hadn't been using the Service Desk yet and I see that now, when I send a test email to the custom address, it no longer forwards to Jira Svc Desk. I deleted and then added the custom email back into the set up area and the automated test message from Jira was successfully sent to my email account and then to the Jira Svc Desk, but if I attempt to email to the custom email address directly, it never gets to the Service Desk. Any ideas on what's happening? I've already checked the two factor authentication and it's turned off.

2 answers

0 votes
Denise Lindgren June 8, 2018

Ugh - I'm in the 10 user license. We are not yet big enough to need more than that. Yes, that's the email that I'm speaking about.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2018

Could be a number of reasons. Have you checked the emails inbox by logging into it to see if the emails are there? It could be you have a password expiry on the account and it has expired but that is just a guess. You need to see if the emails are making it to the inbox first. 

Yes - the emails reach the email inbox. They just dont get to the queue. I thought about the password thing, among others, so I deleted the "custom email" from the Jira Svc Desk entirely and then added it back. Jira sent a test email and it went to both the email inbox and the Jira queue. But if I email the custom email directly, it doesn't get to the queue.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2018

Are you on cloud or server? If cloud I would suggest contacting support directly as only they can view the logs. If server you can view the logs for a clue. Just to be sure, I’m guessing you are not on an expired trial? The fact it was working originally and now it is not made me thing to ask. 

Cloud. And we are not on an expired trial - we've been on a paid subscription for a while now. Thanks for your suggestion! How do I contact them directly?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/ 

unless you are a 10 user license in which case they don't provide support and you are stuck w/ us here in the Community.

Just to be sure, you are defining the email as in the below screen, correct?

emails.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

could I suggest that you try the preassigned cloud email address to see if it works? I would also like to see what happens if you create a new custom email address.

Great idea! I will try the former, first and let you know what happens.

OK. I tried sending directly to the support/atlassian address. It never got there. Even more interesting, I found a page in Jira that I've never seen before that shows both email addresses, their "Status" and "Actions." I tried copying a screen shot into this box, but it didn't paste, even though it gave me the option. Any tips on that? In any case, the status for each say:

Custom email address:  Last received yesterday 9:22 AM (that was when I deleted the address and then added it back in and the Jira "test" email went to the inbox and to the queue just fine.)

Jira address:  No email received ever. (this is odd as I had it working a couple of months back).

So, then I clicked on the "view log" link for the custom email address and it shows the recent history (long list) showing each time I sent a test message. It shows each message with "success" and then 1 minute later is shows "failure" with this detail "[AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed." I realized that this was in a tab marked "Connectivity Log." I saw one other log called "Processing Log" it shows only two messages, both from yesterday morning. The first one shows the "success" test message from Jira and the second one shows a test message I sent two minutes later to test by sending to the custom email address directly. It's marked "failure" with this for details:

"Current user is not active"

If I click on the Jira address "view log" I thought I'd find nothing there since it says "no email received ever" but when I go in, it shows the Jira test email with the details "Successfully saved email to database."

Wish I could send you screen shots...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

@Denise Lindgren, sorry I have been away from this issue for a bit. 

First, the paste image option doesn't consistently work. the best way is to save to your desktop and use the camera icon to browse and insert.

On the main issue, one question - I assume that you are the one creating the issue by email? Regardless can you verify that the user's email creating the ticket is actually active and has permissions to create issues?

Denise Lindgren June 12, 2018

Oh, Jack - you are the only kind soul helping me, so there is no need for you to apologize! As for the permissions, I found that topic in some of the troubleshooting pages online, so I went in and changed permissions to allow anyone to create an issue and that didn't fix it. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

this is quite perplexing and I know i'm overlooking something simple here. If I was in front of the instance I expect it would become clear. :-(

Can you add a screenshot of your permissions for create?

Do you have multiple users setup? If so have they tried creating an issue via email? If not let's try that for sure. Again, check the user config to ensure nothing odd is going on there as well.

Denise Lindgren July 9, 2018

Hi Jack-

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had to take a break. During my break, I decided that it was worth paying for the support, if necessary. I know that they've changed their support recently, and I have no idea if I will actually be billed for it, but I reached out via the support email and was helped through the process by a service technician based here in the states. He said that my particular email address that I was trying to use had been specifically blocked as a user so he reset it and - viola! It's working again! He didn't explain to me how to unblock it, so I'm guessing it was something we couldn't do from our side, perhaps. In any case, I wanted to thank you for all of the thought you put into helping me out with this issue. It's nice to know that there are good people out there trying to do good. :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

Denise, that is great news even if a bit perplexing. So you are saying that Atlassian blocked an email address? That is a first for me for sure and hopefully not something others will see in the future. I could understand if the account were shutdown or frozen. Did they provide any reason for this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events