Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't organization be set in automation rule?

Sabrina Liao January 15, 2020

I want to be able to automate setting the organization for a ticket based on conditions of what's found in the description since we auto-resolve the tickets I'm wanting to create this automation rule for. However, the 'Edit Issue' action doesn't include 'Organizations' as a field as can set. Why is that?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Hi @Sabrina Liao ,

Edit issue action in the automation rules comes with only a few options and Organisation is not one of them.

We have been tracking this as a feature request: JSDCLOUD-4258 to include more options.

Sabrina Liao January 16, 2020

I'm wondering what makes the other fields different that they wouldn't be included in the list.

Albert Kalytta November 30, 2020

Exactly this @Sabrina Liao .

Further i feel like everytime i read about something being discused as a feature request it wont happen anyway. Even if the request is 4y old.

It is honestly very much annoying. 

Also installing another costly addon every time for a single solution is not the way to go either. 

I hope atlassian will start communicating more customer  friendly in the future and further provide better documentation and reasoning regarding long time submitted community requests.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Mark Wheeler August 21, 2020

Not being able to set the Organizations field from another field in Jira Automation is really really frustrating.  Atlassian must have deliberately restricted Edit Issue Fields to not allow other fields to be copied into the Organizations field. As a result I have a Jira Automation rule to prompt Reporters to set the Organizations field if it's blank, with an apology that this isn't automated.

I think if I understood the reason behind the restriction then I'd be able to live with it better. Alternatively we just need Atlassian to sort of Organizations once and for all.

1 vote
William Walker
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 19, 2024

Hello all, I was able to set Organizations by using the following method.

In this example I am setting the Organizations field to "All Users."

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 3.23.50 PM.png

To find out the value of a custom field I referred to this: https://your-domain.atlassian.net/rest/api/latest/field

To find the ID for the "All Users" value I referred to this: 'https://your-domain.atlassian.net/rest/servicedeskapi/organization'

0 votes
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2020

Hi @Sabrina Liao 

Here is an alternative solution using the free plugin Automation LITE for Jira

I was able to successfully re-create your request based on a condition found in a description of a ticket/request. 

For my test I used an incoming email to our Jira Service Desk. 

WHEN: Issue Created (Rule is run when issue is created)
IF: Description contains test 123 (as an example)
THEN: Edit issue fields Organizations (specify the organization). 

Rules

Automation Test 123 - 1.pngAutomation Test 123 - 2.png

Test:

Automation Test 123 - 4.png

Result:

Automation Test 123 - 3.png

-Mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events