Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are closed tickets showing up in open requests?

Tom Feist-Wilson December 10, 2020

Hi,

Why are does the open requests not filter out those that are marked as resolved/closed?

I tired following the information on this page but it appears out of date for the current version of Jira service desk.

ServiceDeskStatus.PNG

The Status that we have has the "Category" set to done, but there seem to be no other ways of controlling this!? 

ServiceDeskStatus_02.PNG

Once again very frustrating that stuff gets updated on Jira but without proper documentation :( 

Thanks in advance if you're able to help!  

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2020

Hi @Tom Feist-Wilson,

This is because the issues don't have a value set for Resolution. Open requests are not based on the status of your requests, but on there being a value in the resolution field.

You'll have to make sure that a status transition to a done status in your workflow also fills out the resolution. That can be done through a post function where that resolution is set automaticallu (Update issue field) or by requiring your users to enter a resolution value in a transition screen. 

Tom Feist-Wilson December 10, 2020

Ahhhhh, I see now! Thank you. 

I see that it's the transition that controls the resolution, not the status itself!! I was looking everywhere in the workflows and in status to see how to set it from the status.

For the benefit of others that may find this post in the future:

On the Workflows page you have to go to the Diagram tab of the workflow when you're editing it, then it helps to check on the "Show transition labels", then click on the text of the transition label to show the options and Post Functions is shown at the bottom. Image attached below:

ServiceDeskStatus_03.PNG

Ps: Sorry for the whinging :P (I have found out of date info in the past, but not this time, I just needed to understand the nuance of transition and status better!)

Like # people like this
Dr Anthony Close July 23, 2021

Awesome Tom.  Thank you for that clarity!

Christophe Veuskens September 28, 2022

Thank you for clarifying this.

Tasos Stefanidis November 15, 2022

Thanks Tom

0 votes
Rachel O'Steen July 13, 2021

I have set the transition's post function for "Resolution set to Done" for both my Deployed and Cancelled statuses, but those issues are still appearing in my All Open queue. I was sure to publish my changes to the workflow. Any ideas? Did I do it wrong? Thanks!
transitions.png

Bert Deslee July 20, 2021

Same issue here!

I even tested it with the default workflow that has the proper post function configurated.

Like Rachel O'Steen likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

Can you check what the resolution is set to, on an issue moved to "done" after you changed and published the workflow?

Bert Deslee July 21, 2021

image.png

Bert Deslee July 21, 2021

The done checkmark is visible in the task:

image.png
The same task is visible as open issue:
image.png

Rachel O'Steen July 21, 2021

I checked my tickets and the status is showing as Deployed on all these tickets (and on that status the Resolution is set to Done in the Post Functions).

HOWEVER, Nic, your question gave me an idea:  as a test, I changed the status on those tickets to something else, then back to Deployed, and they are removed from the All Open queue. Success! 

So Bert, the issue seems to be occurring on tickets that were already in our "Done" status before we made the change to the workflow, as Nic suggested. Just change them to something else, then back to Done and it should work for you. :)  Thanks, Nic!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2021

Ah, yes, I'm sorry, I was not clear in that the change to the transition will only affect issues that go through it.  Existing "closed" stuff with an empty resolution won't be retro-fixed.

Like Rachel O'Steen likes this
Rachel O'Steen July 21, 2021

Worked like a charm - thanks!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2020

That page you've found is not out of date. 

Take a look at the three closed-but-not issues - what is their resolution set to?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events