Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I can not get list of transitions via the RESR API

Maciej Poliwoda January 11, 2021

My workflow is defined as follows (it is default created by designer):

issueWorkflow.pngissuetext.jpg

When I ues browser I can see list of transition:IssueList.jpg

But when I try use TEST API I can not get get list of transition:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/service-desk/rest/api-group-request/#api-rest-servicedeskapi-request-issueidorkey-transition-get 

IssueGet.jpg

Why I can not get list of transitions via the RESR API?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

This is counter-intuitive I think and not explained well in the docs, but Issues are not the same thing as Requests.

A request is a wrapper around an issue, for the benefit of the customers - customers only see requests, but Agents get to see both the request and the issue behind it.

These two artifacts both have workflow elements.  The workflow for the issue is what you have given us a screenshot of.  The issue will be moved through that workflow by the agent.

But your REST call is trying to fetch the transitions for the request.  These are not the transitions in the issue workflow directly.  They are transitions that your admins have made available to the customer, which then transition the issue as well.  In this case, I suspect you have not made any transitions available to the customer on their requests, so the call to get transitions is returning empty.

Either you'll want to map some transitions for the customer requests, or, if you really do want to work with the issue transitions, use the Jira (Core) api for it - /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/transitions

ofer.carmeli July 20, 2021

KING Answer!!!

Thanks!!

Ravi Kiran Polepeddi September 28, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  This response is really useful. 

Could you elaborate on "Either you'll want to map some transitions for the customer requests" please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2022

If you go to configure a request, you'll find it can map the customer request status on to the issues behind it.

Imagine a simple case where your customer service team has to do several things to get a request fixed.  You may have a workflow that represents that process as:

New -> Under investigation -> develop things -> testing -> released -> Done, probably with other status like "with customer for more info" and "cancelled"

Your customers really don't care about half of that flow.  So when the issue is under-investigation, development, being tested, or released into a package, the customer only really needs to know it's with your teams.  So they see a workflow of 

New -> with us -> done  (with with-customer and cancelled too, as diversions from the ideal flow)

Now look at the case where you push an issue into "with customer" because you need them to tell you more.  Instead of having to actively monitor your queues for "customer has responded", you probably want to let the customer push it back to you as they add the information.  So you map a transition in their view of the request, one that lets them push the issue back to your team.

You can do that in the request config.

Like Maxim Denisuk likes this
Maxim Denisuk December 20, 2023

Hi! It helped, just one more comment about how to do that.
You need to:

1. Open project setting
  2. Go to your concrete Issue type (!!!), in my case - Service Request
  3. Open Workflow view (top right corner)
  4. Press the Edit workflow button
  5. Select TRANSITION between statuses
  6. And finally enable required feature (Show transition in the Customer portal)

p.s. don't forget to ensure that changes were published.

After that, you can go to Help center, your ticket, and check that the transition to your status is available. You will see the transition name just below ticket status

Screenshot 2023-12-20 173254.png

Screenshot 2023-12-20 173254.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events