Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between users and customers?

philip.robbins January 20, 2021

Currently I have a long list of customers but a relatively short list of users in our JSM instance.

I revoked access to the site for a user, thinking they would still remain a customer, but all their tickets became unassigned. Is there a relationship tree between users/customers/people/etc. that clearly explains the differences?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

A very simple way to describe it is that "Users see issues, Customers see requests".

Requests all have an issue behind them, as the main object that Jira works with, but customers have nothing to do with issues directly.  They can't even see the issue, let alone be an assignee or reporter etc.

There isn't a relationship tree beyond my initial short description (although it doesn't tell you that "users can also see the request side of an issue when working with an issue that is behind a request")

Thanks for the insight Nic. 

The person I revoked user access to was removed as a participant from existing requests. 

However, some of the existing participants on other requests do not show up on the user list. 

There seems to be an inconsistency with how these 'roles' are applied.

Like Héctor Villalba likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Don't forget users can also be customers.

Sure. What I'm confused about is why some customers who aren't also users can be added as participants.

Or are participants tied to requests, not issues?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

Ah, sorry, I should have expanded on that.

Yes, participants are a request-level thing. 

But you can also have a field of type "participants" for issues - it is read-only though, it's not an editable field, it simply lists uses that have commented, or are the reporter or assignee on the issue (jira users only, not customers)

philip.robbins January 21, 2021

Okay that's helpful to know, thank you. Acknowledging your last comment, in terms of 'roles' in JSM you could summarise the relationships as:

• Reporter - Issue
  • Assignee - Issue
  • Customer - Request
  • Participant - Request
  • User - Issue

I guess we could also add:

• People - Project
  • Lead - Project
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

There's a lot you could add to the list - custom fields, approvers, developers, people in custom project-roles.

But overall, it really is customers = portal/request, users = issues, boards, projects, agents, administration, all of Jira (depending on their permissions)

philip.robbins January 21, 2021

Thank you for your support on this Nic. It's been great to get some insight into this.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events