Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to categorize issues so that I can show ratio of work by category?

Tanya W October 13, 2020

I would like a way to categorize types of work such that I can capture the ratio of stories in each category and display it in a dashboard.  I would like to be able to track these categories across multiple releases and projects.  What is the best way to do this?  I have considered using a component for each category, creating a custom field for each category that would be added to each issue type, or creating a separate issue type for each category. I'm not sure if any of these approaches is the best.  Looking for some insight on how others have done this. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2020

Hi @Tanya W 

Yes custom field can work. You can then create a filter and then use that filter in various dashboard gadget to create reports based on that category field like a simple Pie Chart.

Before you create a new custom field try to use Components field. Components in Jira also bring more features like auto assigning issues to Components' lead (if configured).

Ravi

Tanya W October 14, 2020

Thanks @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ . Out of curiosity, do you see any advantage or disadvantage to creating separate issue types for each category?

Like Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ likes this
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2020

Create separate Issue Types when you have separate process for those issues like Bug are different from Stories and when you need to capture/track different information for those activities/tasks. 

Like Tanya W likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events