Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to a comment if you click on "Cancel"?

Bruce Straub
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 4, 2021

It's my fault, but pretty much every program will double check with the user before deleting a block of unsaved text, I spend an hour typing a comment into JIRA and it disappeared. I'm guessing that I clicked on Cancel by mistake.

If my guess is correct, is it really true that JIRA does not ask the user to verify a Cancellation which would cause a large bloack of text to be lost?

7 answers

6 votes
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2021

Hi @Bruce Straub 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!!

Yes your are correct, This option should be on after clicking the cancel for reconfirmation.

5 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2021

Hi @Bruce Straub , welcome to the Community. That is correct, there isn’t an “are you sure” on the Cancel for comments. 😞

3 votes
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2021

Hi @Bruce Straub 👋

Welcome to the Community! Following suit of @Mayur Jadhav  and @Jack Brickey (because 3's the charm!), yes you are most certainly correct!

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions just ask away 😃

All the best,

Laura

2 votes
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2021

Welcome to the Atlassian Community @Bruce Straub Unfortunately what you are experiencing is true i.e you won't be prompted again if you hit cancel while commenting on a Jira issue. 

tanu_vashistha
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 19, 2023

Hi 

This is really frustrating when you write entire comment of a page length and clicking on cancel clears it forever. "do you really want to cancel" should be implemented on such fragile operation :(

Like Robin Burkett likes this
Robin Burkett
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 29, 2024

I agree - this just happened to me and it is very frustrating. I wish I was prompted "Are you sure you want to cancel?" as I hit "Cancel" by mistake and lost work that I now have to re-create.

1 vote
Eugene Wang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 3, 2024

I came here for the same frustration design! Considering the cancellation button is so close to the send button, it is absolutely necessary to avoid users click the cancel button while they want to click the send! 

@Laura Holton @Kishan Sharma @Mayur Jadhav This is a post since 3 years and people kept coming to this via google or searches. Can you guys consider raising this to the development department or Product department of Confluence? This would be a valuable feature. 

1 vote
Luke Wren
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 24, 2024

So to make sure I understand, JIRA has a button next to the "send comment" (Save) button which just deletes the comment without confirmation? And there is no way of recovering the comment?

0 votes
Carlos Maranje
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 25, 2024

Just spent almost an hour taking screenshots of how to test a new feature and improving my comment to help the testers and it's all gone just because I miss-clicked and instead of accept clicked on cancel.

I HATE JIRA SOOOO MUCH.

Why in the world would you put these two buttons so close and do not implement a confirm dialog. Why are you so incompetent?

image.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events