cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are strange IPs?

Tony Montana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2022

Hello! I checked my tcpdump today. What are strange IPs?

They open the Atlassian. what are they for?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Harald Seyr
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2022

Hi @Tony Montana 

From whois, those IPs seem to be owned by Atlassian themselfes, as I understand the Netherlands branch: Whois IP 185.166.143.34

So this gets a "probably legit" from me, but you can always do some more analysis.

It would be helpful to know what they open. Since your post is tagged with "server", I assume you host your own instance and have access to the logs. If you share the relevant part of the access and error log, then we can check this also.

Regards,

Harald

Tony Montana
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2022

This 443 port, packets are not oppens

Harald Seyr
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2022

In case of incoming packets, I suspect atlassian checking your site in some automated process.

In case of outgoing packets, I suspect your instance does contact some central atlassian server, eg for license validation or check for updates.

In any case, either your firewall or your access / error log should contain some more hints.

Tony Montana
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2022

@Harald Seyr I've blocked this IPs for OUTGOING 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events