Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What add-on apps can I use for JIRA Cloud to send a custom email

Glenn February 21, 2021

What add-on apps can I use for JIRA Cloud to send a custom email as replacement for Scriptrunner? In which I could send a notification that I can configure it on transition in Workflow.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2021

you have Automation built in so I would suggest to use that. 

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2021

To throw our hat into the ring, Notification Assistant for Jira is another option and we're built to delegate this work to your project admins. Custom templates are coming out in the next month.

0 votes
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your question.

I can confirm that unfortunately, ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud does not have the same Send a custom Email post function that the server version has and I can confirm you can see a full list of differences between the cloud and server versions of the plugin inside the documentation page located here.

The reason why we are unable to provide this same post function is due to the fact that Atlassian does not provide any rest API's and only provides the notify rest API which is described in the API documentation located here to notify users.

The notify API only allows you to notify users who are present inside of Jira or are set on the issue and you can read further details about this function works here and has a built-in limitation that you are not allowed to notify your own user.

This means that unfortunately that you will not be able to notify external users with an email like you can do in the server version and will only be able to send an email notification using the notify API and the Send Notification post function which we provide in the cloud version due to the reasons explained above.

However, based on your requirement above you will be able to use the Send Notification post function to send a custom email notification to users when the issue is transitioned and this post function should help to achieve your requirements.

Finally, I can confirm we have a public backlog located here and I would ask you to raise this feature to be able to send custom emails to external users as a suggestion if this is something that you would like to see in the plugin so that our product owner can see this.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Kristian

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

Hey @Glenn ,

Like @Jack Brickey  says, you do have Automation build in so that would be one way to go as it offers a lot more flexibility in when you trigger. Sadly tho the layout of that email is not that extensive and the email comes from an address that is predefined (so no custom email can be used).

One that I've used in the past would be JETI (Jira Email This Issue)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/4977/email-this-issue?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

It gives you the ability to create rich html email, a custom post function and the ability to take over all notifications based on JQL's. (and also connects to your own mailserver)

Fyi, not affiliated, just my experience and what I've used in the past.

I can suggest installing a trial of it and testing it yourself.

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2021

@Glenn -

Hi Glenn:

I would highly recommend JMWE - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/292/jira-misc-workflow-extensions-jmwe?hosting=cloud&tab=support.  It has a send email post function that is easy to use and configure.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events