Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using existing automation rules in a new project - JSM datacenter

assia_lemsyeh September 14, 2022

Hello community,

I need to use previous automation rules that I've already defined in a previous project in a new one. Both JSM projects are in the same instance and I'm using JSM for datacenter.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Hi @assia_lemsyeh ,

you can go to global automation under your settings and select the current automation rule and click the… To the right then select copy and you'll be able to change the project and save.

Hi, thanks for your answer.

But I don't have this 3 dots, this is what I have:

Capture.PNG

And if I want to edit it I don't have a way to mention that this rule is applicable for all projects in my instance.

Capture1.PNG

The Option button is for how the rule will be triggered ( by the admin or current user or it will be triggered by other rules).

Frederic Chartrand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2022

You need to go in your Automations not from the project settings but from your global settings. An easy way to do so is with the keyboard shortcut. From the page you're in, type : . (the dot key on your keyboard) and you'll see a pop-up window. Start typing : Automation and click on Automation rules.

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Is it normal that it can't find it?

Capture2.PNG

Frederic Chartrand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2022

You could also try to click the cog icon at the top right, go in "System" then on the left menu, locate "Global automation"

Lars Barthel September 14, 2022

Additionally, I would strongly recommend to use this Automation app which is much more powerful, easy to use and has lots of options:

Automation for Jira | Atlassian Marketplace

And no worries, it is free.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

you likely do not have the necessary permissions. Can you click on the gear or sprocket icon in the upper right and see if you have System as an option? If not can you contact your site administrator?

Like Frederic Chartrand likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2022

ah...i see...server w/ A4J using legacy automation which AFAIK cannot be copied only recreated. :-(

0 votes
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2022

People here are mistaking Automation for Jira for Jira Service Management Automation module.

JSM does not have any option to export or copy the rules - and in database they are really just one gigantic mess of interconnected webs.

Your only reasonable option is to manually recreate them - not ideal, but unless you want to understand the DB schema behind it, the only way as far as I'm aware.

0 votes
Frederic Chartrand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2022

Or you can just add the new project in the automation rules.

If you click a rule and click "Rule details" at the top left, you'll see if this rule is affected to only one project. If that's the case, change the scope from "Single project" to "Multiple projects" and add your new project.

Just be sure that all the settings of your rule are present in the new project (issue type, request types, custom fields, etc.)

Have a nice day

Frederic Chartrand

FMX Solutions - Gold Solution Partner

0 votes
Lars Barthel September 14, 2022

Hi @assia_lemsyeh 

you might just copy the rule you need (in Automation for JIRA on the right next to the rule using the 3-dot menu)and exchange the new project key with the old one in the JQL inside the rule.

Cheers

Lars

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events