Using Windows and Postgres Database? Or Windows and MySQL?

HH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2017

Hi, 

Initially we were thinking of going for a MySQL database, however after reading that Atlassian recommend Postgres we've now decided that we may go for that instead. 

We would like to host it on a Windows server, and I was just wondering if anyone else out there could share their experiences of whether that's been a good set up, or any problems they've encountered? 

We were also thinking that the easiest way for us to manage the data would be to hook up the Postgres DB to a MS SQL DB and run our internal queries from this MS SQL DB - we'd like to hook it up to Tableau etc. Again just wondering if anyone else had done that and could share their experiences? Pitfalls to avoid etc!

Thanks,

Hollie

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2017

Postgres on Windows works fine, as long as you follow the standard Postgres and Atlassian installation notes on the config for it.

I would not recommend hooking up anything to an active JIRA database, but if you must do reporting that way, I would replicate the main database over to a slave database and report off that. 

Trying to "hook up a PostGres DB to a MS SQL DB" sounds like madness though.  I'm not sure what you'd gain from such a potentially clunky setup.

However, database reporting is a last resort, as the data dictionary is a nightmare, and can even change when you just configure JIRA.  A far better option is add-ons for native reporting, ones that understand JIRA properly, and a close second is using add-ons that can provide reporting interfaces.  Have you looked in the marketplace for Tableau connectors?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events