Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Outlook to reply is creating a new ticket instead of adding as a comment

Kim Fain April 22, 2021

I'm posting this issue again because I'm desperate to get it solved!!

We have adjusted every possible setting to get our JIRA working the way it did previously and we are desperate to get it working again.

We are using the Service Cloud version of JIRA for our project.

We prefer to reply to each ticket via Outlook instead of using the JIRA comment process.  We have the mail handler set to send a copy of each ticket to my personal email address.  When a ticket was received, I would reply to the email, ensure the support email address and the user's email address are in the TO field and the ISSUE KEY was in the subject line and the reply would show as a comment on the JIRA ticket.

Currently, each time I reply to an email, a new ticket is created.

I hope someone will know which settings will allow the comment to be added to the ticket without creating a new ticket.

Please let me know if there are any details I have neglected to include.

3 answers

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2021

Hello Kim,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

I saw that you created a ticket reporting that you couldn’t create a ticket with support, so I would like to share that it’s because your Jira Service Management is Free and you are also not a site administrator, that’s why you are redirected to Community. Only site administrators of Standard and Premium sites can create tickets with support. 

Someone already created a ticket on your behalf for our support team to help you, but meanwhile, you can ask your site administrator to upgrade the plan. They need to go to Cog icon > Billing > Manage subscriptions and change it from Free to Standard. 

I posted the question again because I hoped to get a better response if I elaborated a bit more.

I shared my answer with the support and also your posts, so they can see what has already been done. 

Those details I shared with you were the most common causes, but now with the ticket, our support team can access your site and see what is happening. 

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
mararn1618 _secretbakery.io_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2021

@Kim Fain , that sounds very similar to https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Reply-to-client-is-creating-a-new-ticket/qaq-p/1664606#M76216

I'd recommend to check your email settings; take a look at:

• Settings->System->Incoming Mail->Mail Handlers
  • Classic: Project settings -> Email requests
  • Next Gen: Project settings -> Channels -> Email

Also I'd recommend to check what Angélica Luz recommends in the post I have linked above.

Kind Regards, Markus
Founder of Duplicate AI // Find & Merge Similar Issues

mararn1618 _secretbakery.io_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2021

@Kim Fain Sorry, I didn't realize that was also your post. :)

Kim Fain April 26, 2021

So sorry.  I was going to delete the first one and I couldn't find it.

I posted the question again because I hoped to get a better response if I elaborated a bit more.

Kim Fain April 30, 2021

Is your personal email account associated with an user in Jira that has a Jira service management license associated with it?  Yes. we think so.  Is the account also setup as an agent on the project? Yes. we think so.  The account associated with your personal account will have to be setup this way for you to reply to the issues.

--

We believe we have set my personal email address as an agent and this still isn't working. (I'm not 100% sure, because I don't know the settings well enough)

Other than adding the app that one community poster recommended, can someone supply specific instructions on how to check the settings for this issue.

I have admin rights in the project, but not the entire system.   If our global admin needs to make adjustments, I'll need specifics so he can follow them.

What is the policy/process for setting up a webex meeting with Atlassian support so they can guide us in getting these settings right?

**Also, we've adjusted the settings so much that when a client sends a request to the support desk, I am getting an email, but a new ticket is not being created.**

signed, REALLY Desperate now!

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

@Kim Fain Is your personal email account associated with an user in Jira that has a Jira service management license associated with it?  Is the account also setup as an agent on the project?  The account associated with your personal account will have to be setup this way for you to reply to the issues.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

@Kim Fain 

Per your questions below. 

Your admin can use what is called the notification helper to see what messages you should be receiving and which ones you are not.  It will also help him with setting up the proper permissions.  The Admin can access this by going to Settings > System > Notification Helper

Since you are on the free plan I can escalate this to Atlassian so they can take a look at your account and see what is going on.  I do not know why you would receive an email but no issue would be created.  It sounds like maybe your admin did something on the mail server side.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2021

Let me know what you find out with the notification helper.  Also, is your Service Desk set up to be public and anyone can send a request to you?

Kim Fain April 30, 2021

I'm pretty sure we are not on the free version of Atlassian.  How would I show you?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2021

I am just a community member so I can not see your account.  You can submit a support request here https://support.atlassian.com/contact/    You might also have to have your admin submit the support ticket.

Ahmed Zeb January 18, 2023

Hi @Kim Fain

Did you manage to resolve this issue. If Yes then tell me how you managed to resolve?

I am also facing the same issue.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events