Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using JIRA API to create tickets into Service Desk. Not getting JIRA User ID from email

Justin Curry January 8, 2021

We are using the JIRA API - not the Service Desk API to create tickets into Service Desk from a business app.  We implemented a ? widget for them to write a description and submit.  We have the tickets getting created OK in Service Desk; however, we were using the email of the current logged in user of the business app to set as the Reporter.  

We originally just set the business users (who are our internal account executives) up as Customers in Service Desk, but then needed to actually set them up in JIRA as official users so that they could use some Boards that we created to track all the issues across all the account execs.  

I deleted the old Service Desk Customers to where only the JIRA Users are setup as a Service Desk Customer role under Service Desk Project Setttings->People.  However, whenever we create the ticket through the JIRA api, you have to pass the email in now and fetch back the ID value to assign to the reporter.  This seems to be picking up for the email the Service Desk Customer ID I deleted vs the JIRA User ID for the email.  

It acts like they really weren't deleted but turned off in JIRA database behind the scenes or something and the API is finding them.  I need those purged out if so or something!

Any ideas here?

Appreciate your support,

Justin Curry, Balfour

1 answer

1 vote
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

Hi @Justin Curry 

Welcome to community! On Cloud, you do not rely on email ID, you rely on accountId. However for the user, are you certain you deleted the user or you disabled it? I ask this because if your have JSM and Jira Software/Core with the same email address as Customer user and Jira users, you will get a duplicated user of which the JSM user takes priority over Jira user. Also, when JSM Customer users are deleted, they are removed completely from the instance.

However what you can do here to resolve this conflict is to go to your user management system for Jira Service Management and merge the user by clicking the "Migrate to Atlassian Account" under that user - That way when you use your Integration, Jira knows there's only one user with such identity.

Likewise, if you're using Jira API endpoints, it's better you pull your users based on these keys "active": true and "accountType": "atlassian". That way you're certain of getting only active Jira users as deleted Jira user will still be retained in the user database of that instance as false users to avoid duplications.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events