cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User picker field on portal

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2018

I have a multi user picker field on the portal for portal users. This allows users to add "additional customers" to a work order. I then have a workflow piece that copies this field to "request participants". However this appears not to work for portal only users.

Is this a permission thing? to allow a portal user (who has an account in the system from active directory) to be able to look up other users, such as other active directory users.

This is a real show stopper for us. People need to be able to add multiple people to work orders, not just the person who submitted it. For instance, you would cc your manager in this field and then they can follow it. Is there a permission i could give portal users to enable this?

5 answers

1 accepted

29 votes
Answer accepted
JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2018

Ah ok figured it out! the share button and the user picker field had the same root cause. At some point it appears that the "customer permissions" was changed to "other customers in their organization".

When i have now switched this to "Any customer or organization, by searching in this project" the share button immediately re appeared for the customer portal view and my user picker now works again!

so yeah, permissions issue. I mean there is only one organization here that I am aware of so the other setting should have worked. And i certainly dont recall changing it. Oh well, mystery solved.

permissions.png

Jamil Rahimov
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2018

Thank u!))

Like # people like this
Bob Griffin February 28, 2019

You are a Genius. Changing "Who can customers share requests with" to "Any customer or organization, by searching in this project" fixed our problem.

Before:

User Picker custom field only worked for users with elevated permissions. Field was there, but normal users could not search for users.

After:

Normal users have the ability to Search for users and select them.

Like # people like this
ccds April 19, 2019

You made my day!!  :-)

Aziz Williams August 8, 2019

really appreciate this, was struggling a while to figure it out, thanks

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2019

This setting is important but not enough. You should also add users you need to be selected to same organization as the user that requests the service. Or add them to service desk agents (but this may require a license purchase).

I think this mess is all about security - to not allow outsiders see who is in the company. But unfortunately I saw no direct note in Service Desk configuration that user list is restricted.

Bruno Roveri December 15, 2020

Great!!

Aashutosh Kumar August 3, 2021

Any Solution for Jira Cloud?

Tried all combination, Portal Users cannot access users in User Picker Field.

jira customer permissions.PNG

John Isherwood March 21, 2023

@Aashutosh Kumar it would help if you modified your permission scheme to include the option: 

• Service Project Customer - Portal Access

on permissions such as 'assign user'. This works for me now

1 vote
Knut Arne Ristebråten
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2018

Hi,

If I'm not to mistaken, to be able to see users in the user-picker, one need to have the browse user permission. I don't think that is available for portal customers only - one need to add more groups.

But for your case, can't the users just use the service desk portal function for adding request participants them self?

Instructions for this are here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/adding-request-participants-732528959.html#Addingrequestparticipants-participantsPortalAddparticipantsintheportal

In the customer portal, agents and customers can add participants by selecting Share. Participants receive an email notifying them that they are participating in the 

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2018

that would be after the request is created, which is not ideal. And it appears that there is no share button for customers anymore... hmm. maybe i broke something... I have the share button as an agent, but not as a portal user.

i have 'extension for jira service desk' plugin which does mess around with settings on that page. i did a core update to newest jira version this am and am just updating all the plugins. Otherwise i will look into why i dont have a share button, if you think all portal users should have one.

share.png

David Burgess August 15, 2019

I am using Jira Service Desk and my customers are the internal AD users. I set the browse users permissions and also the customer settings as well and the picker now works but only see local Jira users and not my Active directory... I'm pretty sure this is a permissions issue but I cannot locate which permissions, as I have another request form that uses a picker in a different project and that works fine with the same customer.  

What am I missing??

0 votes
Ekaterina June 5, 2021

Thank you! It is greate!

0 votes
Annina Chrystal February 3, 2020

Hey @JiraYo 

I'd love to know how you set up your issue / workflow to use the user picker to automatically request participants onto the request!  I only know how to do this after it has been submitted.

As you mentioned "This allows users to add "additional customers" to a work order. I then have a workflow piece that copies this field to "request participants". "

Cheers!

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2020

made a custom user picker field. added it to the portal for these work order requests.

On the create issue item in your workflow, add a step to copy the items:

first.png

Using the JMWE add on, do the copy field value to field value task.

workflow.png

I mean you need the addon, like most things with jira sadly. Maybe that was the missing piece of the puzzle for you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I dont know how to do it stock offhand.

I use that addon A LOT. if you are buying only a few, its one i would recommend. Of course as with most addons, they just fix a hole in the product, which should be actually fixed by the dev team, but thats another discussion.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/292/jira-misc-workflow-extensions-jmwe?hosting=server&tab=overview

0 votes
Xiang Huang April 29, 2019

you made my day!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events