Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Picker Not Populating even though browse users and groups permission appears applied

Chris Kline August 6, 2020

I have a custom field configured as a User Picker (Single). When basic users attempt to utilize the field on the form in the customer portal the field does not populate with names.

If I give a basic user the jira-software-users permission the User Picker field populates as expected. I am not in a position where I can turn this permissions on for all users due to cost and a majority of my users do not need access to the Jira software they only need to be able to submit tickets through the customer portal for Jira service desk.

I created a new Jira group and assigned my basic test user to the group. Then I applied said group to the Global "Browse Users and Groups" permission:

01.JPG

I tested the user picker field again with this basic user and the field still does not populate nor allow me to manually enter an address.

I proceed to verify that on the service desk side in customer permissions that the settings are set to as shown in the screenshot: 02.JPG

I then attempted to add my test user with the service desk customer role to the people configuration for the noted service desk and still the user picker field will not populate for this basic test user. 

Is there somewhere else I'm missing that could cause this User Picker field to not populate for basic users or is there a backend requirement/restriction that prevents basic users from using the user picker fields without the Jira-Software-Users permission?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2020

Hi @Chris Kline 

When you say basic user, do you mean customer?

If yes, I believe they won't be able to see users in the field as they're unlicensed - therefore they have no access to Jira Software, including the users which are associated with this product.

To view the users within Jira Software, they'll need to have a license.

Ste

Chris Kline August 7, 2020

I believe that would be the correct description of the user status. Here's a cap of my test user's permissions config that I've been use to test.

03.JPG

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2020

Hi @Chris Kline 

Yes this confirms it - as the user has no product access, they can't access the permissions for "Browse Users & Groups"

It is a global permission on Jira Software / Jira Service Desk - so a user needs to be part of the group and have product access. Without it they can't view other users in the product nor utilise the permissions within it.

Ste

Like Brent Nye likes this
Chris Kline August 7, 2020

Thank you for the help in clarifying for me. Best I can do for now in my troubles is convert my field to a text field instead.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events