Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use custom fields in webhook automation?

Richard Cross October 15, 2020

I'm trying to set up a Service Desk request that can create a new project in Jira.

I've written a REST API that can create projects, based on the following curl command:

curl -X POST jira-server:5000/create-project --data-raw '{"project_key": "FOO", "project_name": "My Kanban Project", "project_type": "kanban", "project_lead": "my_name"}' --header 'Content-Type: application/json'

I've created a Request Type that uses Summary and Description for the Project name and Key, and the reporter name for the project lead.

I've also created a custom radio button field called "Jira Project Type", with option values "Kanban" and "Scrum". 

So my webhook looks like this....

{ "project_key": "${issue.description}", 
"project_name": "${issue.summary}",
"project_type": "${???}",
"project_lead": "${issue.reporter.name}"
}

But obviously "${???}" is where I'm stuck.... how do I refer to the value of my custom field?

2 answers

0 votes
JJ December 17, 2020

So, I found the answer to this in Jira Service Desk Cloud anyways.  Not sure if it applies to your situation.  Use a custom data section like this:

{
  "extra_vars": {
    "awx_region": "{{issue.customfield_10050.value}}",
    "awx_vmname": "{{issue.customfield_10051}}",
    "awx_allowed_ssh_ips": "{{issue.customfield_10052}}",
    "awx_publickey": "{{issue.customfield_10055}}"
  }
}

This pulled data from custom fields, including those with drop down options where you needed to return the value selected.  Hope this helps!

0 votes
Richard Cross October 16, 2020

One workaround I have managed to implement involves querying the value of the custom field in the "if" part of the automation rule, and then directing to either of 2 webhook actions where the custom field value ("kanban" or "scrum") is then hard-coded.

But this would quickly become ugly for more complex automations, so if there's a way to reference the custom field in the webhook payload, I'd still like to know.

JJ December 17, 2020

Hi Richard, I am trying to do something similar.  Did you ever find a solution?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events