Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Insight to pull Kubernetes info from AWS?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2022

I am trying to help another team with Insight - they told me that Insight is currently not pulling in all the information from AWS that they would like from a CMDB. They believe Insight can pull in Kubernetes information but are unsure of how to do so.

I was hoping to find a KB or something related but could not.  Is there any information I could provide?

1 answer

0 votes
Ulrich Kamp September 27, 2022

We had a similar problem using the Insight import plugin for Azure. The Insight plugin for Azure is just a small beginning and helps to understand the Azure structure in perspective of Insight, but it was not useable for more than 5 - 6 subscriptions and - as apparently also for AWS - not complete regading attributes.

So I wrote an export script with Python exporting all the desired object types resp. Azure asset categories, which was quite easy.  I import the results as CSV files daily to Insight. Works quite fine.

If I have spent more time even the JSON importer could be a good solution, but because of the incomplete documentation of the JSON importer it was more or less an adventure to start this way.

You could perhaps find a good approach for reading the AWS asset information here: https://github.com/JohannesEbke/aws_list_all/tree/master/aws_list_all

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events