Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating a cascading custom field value using workflow post functions (with Scriptrunner)

Graham.Wilson January 8, 2021

I'm using Adaptivist Scriptrunner. I need to clear both values within a cascading custom field when an issue transitions into IN PROGRESS. I can't figure out how to do this, and I can't see any examples on the Adaptivist site.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide? The simpler the better, as this is something I have very little experience of. Actual code where I can just substitute field names would be ideal! 

Edit: No "you can do it using this paid for app" answers please. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2021

I can paste those scripts, after verifying for myself they work (probably a year or so since I touched a cascading field so also want to refreshen up on that).

That would be greatly appreciated! 

Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2021

Alright I think this should be it:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.CascadingSelectCFType
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.manager.OptionsManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.option.LazyLoadedOption
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.option.Option
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.FieldConfig

OptionsManager optionsManager = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(OptionsManager)
CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()

CustomField cascadingCF = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectsByName("Activity").find {
it.getCustomFieldType() instanceof CascadingSelectCFType
}
if (!cascadingCF) {log.error("Cannot find cascadingCF field! Exiting."); return}

MutableIssue mutableIssue = (MutableIssue) issue

// to get parent value: currentValues.get(null)
// to get child value: currentValues.get("1")
Map<Object, LazyLoadedOption> currentValues = issue.getCustomFieldValue(cascadingCF) as Map<Object, LazyLoadedOption>

//Need to decide here which block you want to use in your use case
if (currentValues == null) { //is empty, set values
FieldConfig fieldConfig = cascadingCF.getRelevantConfig(mutableIssue)
Option parentOptionToSet = optionsManager.getOptions(fieldConfig).getOptionForValue("Parent 1", null) //(String optionName, long parentOptionId), so this is for parent
Option childOptionToSet = optionsManager.getOptions(fieldConfig).getOptionForValue("Child 1.1", parentOptionToSet.getOptionId()) //and this for child

Map<Object, Option> optionsToSet = new HashMap<Object, Option>() {
{
put(null, parentOptionToSet)
put("1", childOptionToSet)
}
}

mutableIssue.setCustomFieldValue(cascadingCF, optionsToSet)
}
else { //list is not empty, clear it
mutableIssue.setCustomFieldValue(cascadingCF, null)
}

Let me know in case this gives you any trouble or if you have any questions.

Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

Note that in workflow post-functions, this should be before "issue updated, added to changelog, yadayada" and re-index. So ideally somewhere near to top, either before or after "Status changed to destination step" one.

Thanks - I'll try that and let you know.

Ok that worked perfectly. Thanks so much for your time and effort, hugely appreciated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events