Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update JIRA ticket when closing Service Desk

Gustavo Rubio January 3, 2019

Hello there, we are currently using JIRA cloud with custom flows and statuses to manage our full SDLC. The last three statuses usually mean that the developers have finished their work and are waiting for the release team to accept the change, merge it, and deploy it. 

In order to notify the release team that a feature is ready we create an RFC (Request For Change) on our Service Desk account and from there they will update the RFC, once it has been closed it means the feature is ready and finally done.

My question is: Is it possible to, somehow, link Service Desk to JIRA so that when a ticket in SD is closed the ticket in JIRA can be moved from status to done? We usually have to be monitoring the SD open tickets to see if they have been closed so we can manually close the tickets in JIRA but it'll be easier and less error-prone to automate this as we usually forget to do so.

So it'll be something like:

JIRA -> Waiting for review (status manually changed)

SD ->   RFC is created (the developer goes to the SD instance and creates the ticket)

SD -> A release manager accepts the change and manually changes the status to closed of the SD ticket

JIRA -> The ticket is changed to closed from SD automatically, somehow

As a note: the SD instance is NOT used by customers, we use it only for internal purposes so security here, information-wise, is not an issue.

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2019

Hello Gustavo,

Thank you for getting in touch with Atlassian Community!
It's possible to automatically close a ticket in Jira SW when a linked ticket from SD is closed.
To make this you will have to use the add-on Automation for Jira. In order to test, you can use the free version.

Just remember that the tickets must be linked for the automation to work.
After installing the add-on, you can configure the automation as below:
Screenshot 2019-01-04_16-57-03.png

Note: On the If: matches you must change the sd1 to your SD project key.  

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Angélica

Gustavo Rubio January 4, 2019

Oh, for sure, I just notified the admins of the SD to take a look at the plugin, we'll see how it goes next week and let you know.

Thanks a lot!

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Kathi Paquet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2021

Is this automation rule reside a Global rule OR a rule within the JIRA Software to close the SD ticket?

0 votes
Daniel Ramezani March 9, 2022

delete answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2021

Hello @Kathi Paquet,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

It’s necessary to create a global rule. 

I tested here and when creating the automation rule within the project, it will only consider tickets from that specific project.

Even though the original question was posted in 2019, the rule keeps the same. Here is a screenshot of the test I made today:

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.22.23.png

On “No actions performed” the rule was restricted to the Service Management project. Once I changed to “All projects” and added the “If matches” using JQL (project = IT), it worked.

Please, take your time to test and let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events