Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to remove field in hidden section of request type

Sheral Hewes April 22, 2022

I have a existing request form that has a custom field type "Customer Request Type" from add on Extensions for JIRA Service Management that is located in the hidden section on the request form with a value set.  

I need to remove it as it is not supported to migrate from server to cloud.  It fails the migration.

The action section shows Show and Remove links and they are both greyed out.

I hover and it displays the field is required by the linked type.

I check the field configuration and it is optional.  I check the create screen and the field is on the screen.  I check all the other dynamic form configuration and the field is not used in it.

I do full reindex.  does not solve it.

Anyone have any ideas?      without re-creating request forms as there are many and have a lot of dynamic form configuration. 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

I ended up deleting the custom field from the admin/issues/custom fields page.  It was then not showing on the request type as well.  I did this approach because I did not need the field to be migrated at all.  This solution will not work for all use cases.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2022

@Sheral Hewes -

Excellent.  If my suggestion also helped you, then please click on Accept Answer button when you have a chance.

The only drawback of your action is that the data in the field is lost permanently.

Best, Joseph

Data was not needed.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2022

That is interesting..  If you deleted the actual field as you mentioned, it would removed the data completed out from your system.  If you removed the field from your project's screen scheme, then the field would be (essentially hidden) from your project and the data is still retained.

I believe if you conduct a re-index process, you will find the data is removed.

It is my 2-cents... I could be wrong.

Best, Joseph

My initial problem statement stated I did full reindex and it did not solve the problem.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2022

I mis-read your statement of "Data was not needed" as "data was not deleted".  Thus, it prompted my response back to you.

For deleting an acutal field - All I am trying to state is that removal of custom field by deleting it, you just need to be aware of that the data is removed permanently.

Since from your update that you stated the "Data was not needed", then it is fine.  Otherwise, all of your existing issues with data associated with that specific field are also be lost.

Again, it is just my thought.  Have a great weekend.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2022

@Sheral Hewes -

Since this custom field "Customer Issue Type" is sourced /associated when you implemented the add-on Extension for JSM and not native to JSM, you have two options that I can think of -

1. Disable and uninstall the add-on.  It should remove the field.
  2. Contact add-on vendor for direct support of your issue.

NOTE - From your updated screenshots, it is not the field named "Customer Request Type" which it is native fot JSM.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

I did submit a support request to the add on vendor.  I have not received a solution.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2022

Ok.  You will need to follow-up with them for input on your support request.  Otherwise, if you cannot wait, then you can try to uninstall the add-on to see if the field will be removed.  Again, uninstalling the add-on will be a decision that you and your team have to determine/assess of possible impacts in your enviornment.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2022

Hi @Sheral Hewes ,

Customer Request Type is an essential field in JSM.

Can you share a screenshot please to indicate how Extension for JSM creates another custom field?

RemoveField.jpg

RemoveField1.jpgField is Customer Issue Type

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events