Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create next-gen projects

Peter Stuer December 22, 2020

We're in the very early stages of testing to see if Jira Service Management is a fit with our organization. I want to enable the testers to create next-gen projects. They have the permission to create next-gen projects but they miss the 'Browse Projects' permission. All testers are already Project Administrator in a classic project.

The error message: "You can't view templates to create a project"

I've read the documentation which says that everyone can create next-gen projects by default (but not in our tenant apparently). I seem to be stuck in a 'groundhog day' loop where it keeps referring me from the 'Global Permission' page to the classic project permissions page and back again.

I don't see any page that allows me to enable the 'Browse Projects' permission.

Any pointers or advice?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2020

Hi @Peter Stuer,

Can you check if next-gen service projects are enabled in your site? This is still an early access feature, afaik. Have a look at this article for more details on how to do this.

Also, while testing it is of course the right time to play around with all options. But definitely have a good look at the differences between classic and next gen, so you can choose wisely!

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2020

If the feature is enabled and you're still running in trouble, resume where you left off with @Jack Brickey and share a bit more information / screenshots on where you and your users are getting stuck.

Peter Stuer December 24, 2020

@Walter Buggenhout ,

that did the trick. The testers now can create Next-Gen projects but not Classic projects which is fine for our purpose.

It is documented but it is confusing to see an option in Global Permissions that is a dud until the experience is enabled.

Any idea when this feature is ready for mainstream use?

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2020

Please verify that the users are in a group/role that has the necessary permissions - admin > system> global permissions > create next-gen projects

Jack,

thank you for your answer. Yes, they are. I'm site admin and even I can't create Next-Gen projects.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2020

Ok so how exactly is the user attempting to create s project? They should be able to simply click on Projects in the menu and Create project. Can they get that far? Assuming so please provide some screenshots of what occurs. 

1.png

Hi Jack,

When they select Create Project menu item they get the message you see in the picture.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2020

I have never seen this error before TBH. I did a quick check in the docs but didn’t see anything. You might contact Atlassian Support. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events