Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Unable to change managed user account email

Hi, I am trying to change the email domain of 2 of our users to the new domain that some of our users migrated to last Nov. I expect to change the email to the verified domain, they get an email to verfiy on the old email and a notification on the new email, and then the email address would be updated ... currently, I am getting an error stating "You are unable to change the email address of a managed account to another domain that is not managed by your organization." the now and old domains are both verified. Please assist. Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Prince Nyeche Community Leader Apr 20, 2021

Hey @Yatish Madhav 

Are both domains verified under the same organization or verified on different organization? 

Hi @Prince Nyeche - thanks for the quick reply. Both domains are verified on our instance - I am ont sure if the 1 of the 2 domains is verified on another cloud instance. Thank you

Hi @Prince Nyeche - any update or workaround? Or do you understand what the issue is? Thank you

Prince Nyeche Community Leader Apr 23, 2021

Hey @Yatish Madhav 

Sorry, I must have missed this notification. Can you show me a screenshot of both domains verified on your instance as shown in the image below. Please mask the domain name, I just want to confirm that both verified badge of domains is showing from your end under "status".

domain.png

There are two possible explanation here:

1) Your domain is being used in another organization owned by your team and not managed in the same organization directory.

2) Your domain appears as verified but the verification used on it has been delinked E.g. The HTTP file that was used to verify the domain has being removed from the root directory of the domain and this hasn't reflected on your UI.

Hi @Prince Nyeche - no worries. Thanks for the reply.

See below. Note that we have not claimed the domain that were want to change the email address to as users with that email are on another Jira instance that we are planning to migrate to. We also dont want to claim them since we are migrating to that instance.

Screenshot from 2021-04-23 13-03-04.png

I had a look if the TXT record is still available on all the domains and they are.

Referrring to the 1st option, I wonder what changed since 3 or 4 months ago - as I did this for many users (i.e. go to the profile, change the domain and they got emails to notify and verify it for the change) after we changed our emails from the old to the new. New one being on the other Jira instance. I have requested the admin as to what their verified domains look like and if that changed at all.

Please advise?

Prince Nyeche Community Leader Apr 23, 2021

Hi @Yatish Madhav 

Thanks for the screen shot, referring to this statement

Note that we have not claimed the domain that were want to change the email address to as users with that email are on another Jira instance that we are planning to migrate to.

I think that's the problem. If you were to request change of email while on Atlassian access, both domain must be claimed under the same organization. The way to go about this when having multiple Jira instances with different url, is to merge organizations into one that way, you can manage multiple instances. In this case, easily manage different users with different domain suffix. I believe the error Atlassian cloud mentions should be checked by the admin where the verified domain is. Look at this article of transfer of organization, I think this will help you with the concept around this process.

Thanks Prince. Sorry for the delayed reply ... OK so if we are not on Atlassian Access - have never been on it. How would we get a user to change their email address to one of the above? Note that we would not like to claim accounts I.e. currently it shows this if they try:

Your account is managed.

Contact your administrator to change your email address.

The thing is in Oct/Nov 2020 I have managed to change their address and they got the email to verify it to change. Not sure what has changed for me to not be able to do this anymore. Please advise?

Thank you in advace

Prince Nyeche Community Leader May 11, 2021

I think you need to be on Atlassian access to use those features (of email change) and definitely, since your domain is already claimed, those users can't manage their own profile anymore.

Thanks Prince. Hmm that is a little frustating. As we have the account verified and claimed, managed by us administrators ... and the new domain verifed as well. But for us to change the account (or even fix an incorrect email address if that is the case), we need to unmanage it entirely OR pay for Atlassian Access to allow this?! Is my thinking correct there?

If we manage it, surely we should be able to change it even if it requires the user to confirm and verify - like we could in Oct/Nov 2020

Thank you

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

ThinkTilt is joining the Atlassian Family!

This morning, Atlassian announced the acquisition of ThinkTilt , the maker of ProForma, a no-code/low code form builder with 700+ customers worldwide. ThinkTilt helps IT empower any team in their or...

923 views 30 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you