cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UTM parameters tracking in Jira Service Desk

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2020

Greetings, another day and another puzzle, this time for a marketing guys.

People come to my Help center from different places and create tickets. I want to be able to track some parameters such as source, media id, etc.

They call them UTM parameters, which upon success, sends data to analytics.
URL looks like this https://%mydomain%.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/5/group/12/create/53?utm_source=email&utm_facebook=newsletter&utm_campaign=august20

I do not see a way to add Google Adwords/Anaytics code to <head> of the Atlassian Help center. Tried a "Google Analytics in Jira Service Desk" app from a marketplace, but it seems just generic page stats.

I also tried to add 'field data' into a URL and capture it. Example https://%mydomain%.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/4/group/7/create/48?summary=my_campain_from_facebook
But encountered 2 issues: that method populates field visible to the user, it does not look good (and I can't hide it, because hiding a field req. default value which is unknown). And i can't understand how to trigger those parameters later on.

Is there any way to do that before I started to completely recreate the UI of the help center on my website to capture data upon ticket submission?

p.s. url/utm parameters are not static, each user lands with his/her own data

3 answers

0 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 18, 2020

@Hamelius  Sorry, but you can't add JavaScript to Atlassian Cloud products - you'd need to migrate to server to achieve this kind of customisation.

This is one of the main reasons that apps such as my Google Analytics in Jira Service Desk (free) are available - to meet such needs.

Currently none of the Google Analytics integrations support the utm_* tags if the users are not already logged in --  this is because JSD does a lot of redirects which would remove the utm_* request parameters from the URL.

If however the utm_* parameters were populated into custom Jira fields, it may be possible to extract them and subsequently pass them over the Google Analytics.

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2020

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I managed to populate fields, but it looks ugly and the user can edit that field. I tried to hide that field, so only agent / Jira automation can read it, but upon hiding, I have to provide default value (which I cant, since marketing parameters are dynamic). Or there is another way to hide the field from users' eyes and at the same time accept data from URL? 

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2020

Hello Alexey,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community and for the details provided.

Searching for similar cases and workarounds, I believe that currently without an add-on, it's not possible to use Google Analytics on the customer portal.

There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of such ability:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Regarding the add-ons, I found five that may help you (actually four, because you already tested one).

Regards,
Angélica

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2020

Greetings Angélica. Those Addons track only users, which are logged in JSD (i.e. created an issue and followed link from a mail to finalize their atlassian account). At that point, all tracking info is lost...

I found also a way to add JS code to Announcement Banner but... i cant find it in JSD Cloud. There is only Announcement message, which is just plan text.

0 votes
Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2020

@Alexey I have not used this app but it may be what you're looking for: Google Analytics for Jira Service Desk

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events