Two levels approval if total cost exceeds certain amount

Jenn Y May 9, 2021

I have an approval work flow to pick approvers for an invoice approval. But I also want to achieve that if the amount over 10k, the level 1 manager approve first, then the request goes to higher level manager to approve. How does this work, by adding another approval status to work flow, or add transaction conditions to existing workflow? If the amount is less than 10k, it won’t send anything to the higher level manager.

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

Hey @Jenn Y and welcome to the community!

What you are trying to achieve isn't that strange but not something that can be achieved without some creative thinking :)

You have a couple of options imho.

1. A clean way is to invest in an app, something like (but not exclusively) approval path for Jira . Of course there are plenty other apps out there so those you can find here 
  2. Now if you don't want to spend money and this is a one of requirements you could indeed do this with your workflow. For a workflow type of approach you can indeed add a 2nd status. I would stick to a single path 
    • manager approval
    • higher approval

The easiest I can think of is to actually work backwards. You can always go through manager approval and when the amount is less than 10k you can "auto approve" the higher approval (with a "not needed" comment or something). That would be an automation.

If the amount is not less than 10k you don't auto approve and have the higher up approve the 2nd status

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2021

Hmm.. Hard to say not seeing you exact workflow, but maybe you can set some kind of automation on that step? I guess to make it work you need two transitions that would be based on the value of the amount (if <10k use transition A.. else use transition B) and then automatically move the ticket by using one or another, notify specific people, etc. .. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events