Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off all notifications while testing rules

Jim Stewart December 1, 2020

I've been testing rules for a variety of users in a non-production environment. It only goes - or was supposed to go - as far as assigning an issue to a user. However, I found out from one user that she had gotten about a dozen notifications. Oops. I still have one or two rules to test so I wanted to be sure that any possible place where notifications are turned on will be turned off. Can you advise? There's nothing in the rule that says this so where else should I look? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2020

Hi @Jim Stewart 

If you go into Project settings > Customer notifications

You can turn all notifications off there.

I would suggest not using live users for testing though.

Yeah, in many of them we're just using my colleague and I. But the live users are a limited group and know what we're doing. Also, using the live users helped in one respect. There were a handful of users that the audit log showed were not authorized to accept issues (or some verbiage like that). So we found out that they had not yet been given access to SM. Also, these same people are not really live. Not on Jira anyway. They are currently using Zendesk and this is in preparation for migrating them over. So, all good. 

Like Liam Green likes this

Hi. SM was still notifying people and so I investigated. It turns out that there are two notifications items in Project Settings - Customer Notifications and Notifications. I'm afraid I don't understand the difference even though they are set up differently. And it turns out it was Notifications that was (and is) causing the problem. I can see how to disable notifications going out from there. What I don't understand is if getting notifications to people involves some mix of getting both these sections right. Or why do both of them even exist? Rules are hard enough to get right without that.

Customer notifications.jpgNotifications.jpg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events