Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition - "cannot assign issue to nonexistent user

hristo.iliev February 23, 2021

Hi , I am unable to move an open issue through my workflow. I keep getting an error of "cannot assign issue to nonexistent user". It seems that you have tried to perform an illegal workflow operation. If you think this message is wrong, please contact your Jira administrator."

1 answer

1 vote
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

@hristo.iliev

It seems that you have a post function on your workflow which was assigning the issues to a user that no longer exists.

Take note of the issue type/types where this is occurring, along with the transition where this is occurring. Navigate to Project settings > Workflows and edit the workflow tied to the issue type which was throwing the error.

Look for the specific transition which is failing, and click on it. A little box should pop up that looks like this:
Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 10.29.04 AM.png

Click on the Post Functions link and check to see if one of them looks like this

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 10.30.25 AM.png

This user will likely be one that doesn't exist any more. Just remove this post function and save your workflow.

hristo.iliev February 23, 2021

@Kian Stack Mumo Systems  thanks a lot for your help, i fixed it with changing of "assignee will be cleared" to "assignee will be set to default"

Post funtion1.PNGPost function2.PNG

Like Prateek Yadav likes this
Prateek Yadav June 7, 2021

@hristo.iliev , for me the message shows name of a particular user who is no more with the organisation. That user is no where specifically mentioned in the post function or any transition. Can you help me in understanding why that should happen that his name is coming in the error message? It must be picking it from somewhere.

Paulo August 22, 2021

Same case here, we have a deleted user but I don't know where that user is being picked up from

William Crossland March 16, 2023

same issue here. not sure where the user is being assigned. no clues in the logs

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events