cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking customer and specific customer part numbers

Noel Dubey
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 10, 2020

I'm looking for suggestions on how to utilize Jira to track tickets that pertain to specific customers as well as specific customer part numbers.  I have used components in the past for tracking tickets related to customer part numbers, but sometimes it is not easy for anyone new in the department to know what customer this customer part number pertains to.  It would be nice if I could have the customer name as the component and sub-components for customer part numbers.

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2020

Hi @Noel Dubey 

If you can give a real life example of what you currently have and what you are trying to achieve, it might help better answer the question. 

-Mike

Noel Dubey
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 10, 2020

We have 85 different customers.  Each customer can have a varying quantity of products (what I am calling part numbers).  In some cases over 200 different products.  I create issues that are associated with each particular product.  I have been naming components after each of the product names.

This is not a real life example of ours, but it would apply.  Assume the following candy bars I am using the product name as component names:  3 Musketeers, M&M's, Milky Way, Twix, etc.

The customer name would be Mars Incorporated.  I currently have been using Labels, for the customer, but want to know if there is a better way, since I have to keep adding these labels for each issue, when I would always like it to to apply to any of these product names (or components).

Hershey would be another customer with their own set of product names (components).

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2020

Hi @Noel Dubey 

Why don't you use the Customer as the Organisation (as it is intended for) and a custom field for the products. As new products come about, you add them to the custom field.

The custom field could be a multi-select field.

Are products names unique to a customer or not? 

Why do you need to create an issue for every product? 

-Mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events