To insert several rows in a one cell in import csv file

ivana.kozakova March 18, 2020

Hello Atlassioan team,

I prepared an import file in the MS Excel. There is column "Description". One cell in this column contains several rows where each row is created with the key <Alt>.

After import in JIRA the rows merged in one row.

I would like to ask you if it is possible to insert several rows as single lines in a one field "Description" - something like <BR> tag.

Thank you for your support,

Ivana

2 answers

0 votes
ivana.kozakova March 19, 2020

Hello,

many thanks for your prompt answer. However I look for something other. I need insert in one "Description" field in JIRA multiple rows from one cell in .csf import file.

Please find attached pictures:

1. Our source data see in the "Import_File_Multiple_rows_in_Description.png" pictere - there are multiple rows in one cell F1.

Import_File_Multiple_rows_in_Description.png

2. Content from cell F1 I need to import into Description in JIRA - please see in the "Result_JIRA_Multiple_rows_in_Description.png" picture.

Result_JIRA_Multiple_rows_in_Description.png

Thank you for your support and best regards,

Ivana

Phil Merk March 24, 2021

I know this is an old thread, but the only one I found with the same issue I was running into.

When it is possible to change your source file, you can add multible columns with the same name as descipted here under the topic:

Aggregating multiple values into single fields

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

Best Regard,

Phil

P.S. When you found another solution, for example with an additional seperator you use in your field, I would be glad to hear about ;-)

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

@Phil Merk

That only applies to select lists that accept multiple values, not the description field.

Thanks!

Kian

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2020

Hello,

According to the Atlassian documentation, in order to import multiple lines, you should wrap them in quotes.

CSV file structure

Capturing data that spans multiple lines

Use double-quote marks (") in your CSV file to capture data that spans multiple lines. For example, Jira will treat the following as a valid CSV file with a single record:

Summary, Description, Status
"Login fails", "This is on
a new line", Open

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events