Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminology: Help Center vs. Customer Portal vs. Global Center

Deleted user June 26, 2018

I've reviewed the Glossary as well as the Using the Help Center article and I'm still unsure how the Help Center and Customer Portal are defined, and what their relationship is.

My understanding is that the Help Center provides a point of access to a Customer Portal (of which there may be more than one)—for instance, links to help forms contained in Customer Portal X or Customer Portal Y.

If this is correct, what's the appropriate terminology to use with customers? To take an example, how would you instruct instruct customers in accessing Service Desk to log an IT issue? Does the following make sense?

1. Open Jira Service Desk in your browser.
  2. From the Help Center, click log an IT issue.
    The IT Customer Portal loads.
  3. Complete the portal's log an issue form.
  4. (...)

Further:

• What's the "global center"? I see mention of the term at the bottom of this page.)
  • In relation to these concepts, what if any difference exists between Service Desk Cloud versus the Server instance?

Edit: Typos; clarification.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2018

I will share my thoughts FWIW. The Help Center is the main landing page for your instance of JSD. Each project in JSD results in a new Portal URL which is just a sub-page of the Help Center. If you direct your customer to the Help Center and if the project are well named with request types, groups and descriptions then they should be able to navigate and open the appropriate ticket. Sorry, not sure this was helpful.

I have never heard of Global Center before and personally wouldn't suggest complicating things further as I sure it is meant to be Help Center.

Deleted user July 5, 2018

Thank you for those clarifications.

Pauline Monroy December 18, 2018

Thank you @Jack Brickey. I hope this is the right answer because it makes complete perfect sense. Was looking for a clarification on the same. Thank you @[deleted] for posting the question. 

In fact, this article helped me understand the structure better. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/best-practices-for-designing-the-customer-portal-732529000.html 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events