Supporting multiple external customers with Jira Service Desk

Jonas Christensen January 20, 2021

We are using Jira Service Desk for support on custom solutions that we have developed - each customer will have their own/specific solution.

Current: 1 external customer
Future: 2 - 10 external customers

Today we are using "Organizations" in order to be able to share incidents/tickets with the customer in the Service Desk portal. Since we don't want "Customer A" to be able to share their tickets with "Customer B" and vice versa when submitting a new ticket, and it is not possible to hide the "Share with" option in the portal form, it looks like we will have to create a separate Service Desk project for each customer? We are currently using "Classic service project".

Any suggestions or best practice advice on how to serve more than one external customer?

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Hi @Jonas Christensen ,

I'm not fully grasping how you are currently using your organizations.

What you mention, having multiple organizations, each being a single customer group would allow the user to only share it within their own organization.

you would of course need to set it in the Customer Permissions of your project to only allow sharing within the organization:

image.png

Jonas Christensen January 20, 2021

What I'm referring to is the "Share with" option in the Servce Desk portal. As I understand it, this can not be hidden/not visible and all options (i.e. organizations) will be visible for all customers?

We don't necessarily want "Customer A" to know that "Customer B" is a customer, or at least not have the option displayed.

If we restrict sharing like your example above, would the only option in the below drop-down be only a customer's own organization?

Capture.JPG

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

HI @Jonas Christensen ,

That would be the case yes, you only see the organizations that you are a part of (and thus are able to share the ticket with).

You cannot hide the share with button completely, but you can limit with who they can share (and thus limit those options :))

Your use case is a standard one where you have multiple external customers grouped in organizations. Each organization would only have access to tickets of their own organization (if they are shared with the organization, because they can still choose to keep it as a "private" ticket where only the reporter sees it)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events