Slack integration

Jim Stewart February 1, 2021

I notice there is a "Slack integration" in Project Settings. We are big-time Slack users. Does this mean that our users (employees) could open tickets/issues through Slack using Jira natively or with some third-party app? If not, how could I use it in a help desk model?

2 answers

0 votes
David Michelson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2021
Hi @Jim Stewart - thanks for your questions! I'm David, a PM on the Slack integrations team.
Does this mean that our users (employees) could open tickets/issues through Slack using Jira natively or with some third-party app?
Yes, if you use our official Slack integration (kindly linked by @Joseph Chung Yin users will be able to create issues right from Slack, both:
  1. From scratch, by typing in "/jira create"
  2. From an existing message by hovering over a message, clicking the 3-dot menu, and "Create issue from Jira Cloud" - which will automatically port the context from the message into the new issue.

If not, how could I use it in a help desk model?

Like I said above, users will be able to create Jira tickets straight from Slack with our official integration.

But, if you'd like a more fleshed out help desk model in Slack, I recommend also trying Halp by Atlassian, a Slack-first ticketing solution. Halp works as a standalone help desk or a two-way sync between Slack and Jira Service Management.

Jim Stewart February 2, 2021

This is great news. If you don't mind, I'd like to leave this ticket open as I install and play around with it. Nobody but me seems to be aware this was even an option and they're pretty excited about it. We live on Slack. 

Jim Stewart February 2, 2021

Ok. So I linked it to one of our non-production help desks. It integrated quite nicely and I was able to create an issue which is pretty cool. I also liked the fact that it read (or imported) my request types. I will likely have a few more questions pre-launch but here's one:

-We are using automation to route issues to the correct agent. If we use the portal, it works like a charm. But now if I use Slack, it doesn't  yet have the intelligence to know who to assign those same issues to. So, not sure what change or changes to make in the rules. I'm attaching a typical rule.

Rule.jpg

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

@Jim Stewart -

In your Jira env, you will need to add the free add-on by Atlassian "https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216863/jira-cloud-for-slack-official?hosting=cloud&tab=overview".  Once it is installed and configured, then you can integrate Slack with Jira.

In the CLOUD env, you can create issue from Slack into Jira, but this function is not available for Jira Data Center env.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS