Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up mailhandler with OUAth mailbox triggers error

Emile Renaud March 1, 2021

Hi,

We're attempting to set up a new mailhandler with an MS Office 365 / OUAth mailbox. Unfortunately when running a test, the following error appears:
"A3 BAD users is authentic but not connected".

Screenshot_1.png

When adding the email using Oauth authentication, the Authentication is successful but nothing happens. As far as I understand it there are two ways of adding an account:

• Through the SD project - Email requests

• Through the right upper cog -> System Settings -> Email

Neither option achieves the desired result. Please advise how to best proceed.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2021

Hello Emile,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When adding a custom mailbox to receive requests on a Service Management project, the best option is to add it directly to the project.

The mail handlers on Cog icon > System > Incoming email works best for Jira Software and Business projects. 

Can you please share with us the error you are facing when adding the custom email on Project settings > Email requests?

Does this account use multi-factor authentication? If so, it’s necessary to set up an app password

It’s also important that no one has access to the mailbox. If possible, change its password before trying to connect it to Jira. 

Kind regards,
Angélica

Emile Renaud March 2, 2021

Hi Angélica,

Thanks for your input. I'm going to review this with my team and revert back to you once I have an update.

Kind regards,

Emile Renaud March 3, 2021

Hi Angélica,

{quote}When adding a custom mailbox to receive requests on a Service Management project, the best option is to add it directly to the project. (...)

Can you please share with us the error you are facing when adding the custom email on Project settings > Email requests?{quote}

It's not so much an error, it's just that nothing happens.

Step 1: Project settings → Email requests → Connect a custom email account → Microsoft

image.png

Step 2: Select an Account which the user is signed in to (in Dutch: "Een account kiezen", "Aangemeld")

image.png

Step 3: User is returned to the previous screen, which does not update. Also not when refreshed.

image.png

{quote}Does this account use multi-factor authentication? If so, it’s necessary to set up an app password. {quote}

No multi-factor authentication is set up for the account.

{quote}It’s also important that no one has access to the mailbox. If possible, change its password before trying to connect it to Jira. {quote}

I'll double check that this is not the issue but if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!

edited to add: when you say: "It’s also important that no one has access to the mailbox", do you mean that no one should have potential access or that no one is logged in at the time of the set up?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2021

Hi Emile,

Thank you for testing. 

What I meant by “no one has access to the inbox” it’s just to prevent that someone reads the emails on the inbox, because if someone reads before Jira, tickets won’t be created. 

Can you please try adding the custom account using incognito mode?

Please, open an incognito tab, login to Atlassian. 

After that, access your Jira site normally and go to Project settings > Email requests and click on Microsoft.

Since you are logged out from MS, it will show the page for you to select the account. If it shows the option for you to select a new account, then click on this option and add the email address and password.

If it doesn’t connect, can you try using the option “Other” instead of Microsoft?

Emile Renaud March 8, 2021

Hi Angélica,

I've taken the steps you've outlined in your comment, but not obtained the desired effect. Therefore I moved from MS Oath to IMAP instead. Now the situation has not been resolved but we've gotten a step further ;) Please see the status and scenario described below.

We have a shared Office 365 mailbox with multiple email accounts attached to it.
We have two "Classic service projects":

Project 1

Authentication MS Oath

Mail handler set up for project1@mydomain.com

Project 2

Cant set up Oauth

IMAP Email account set up, works

Mail handler set up for project2@mydomain.com

Mail to project2@mydomain.com creates a ticket for project 1 not project 2.

Can you please advise how we can ensure that mail to porject2@mydomain.com results in creating a ticket for project 2?

Thanks!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 8, 2021

Hi Emile,

Thank you for the details. 

Jira Service Management wasn’t designed to work with Shared mailboxes, so I’m afraid to say that your configuration may not work as expected.

There was a feature request suggesting to support it, but it was closed as “Won’t do”:

In this case, it will be necessary to use a mailbox that is not shared and a different email address for each project to ensure the tickets will be correctly created.

Hi Angélica,

Hmm, that's unfortunate.

Thanks for your support thus far. I'll discuss this with my team and let you know if we have further questions.

Regards,

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Hi Angélica,

Are there any other resolutions or workarounds for this issue that do not include creating an additional paid mailbox?

Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 9, 2021

Hi Emile,

The workaround would be to use the Cloud email address that is automatically created for the project. You can customize the email, but the domain will be @yoursite.atlassian.net.

Emails using the default cloud address

If you use the email account provided by Jira Service Management, email messages are deleted once processed. You can modify this default email address at any time; however, messages sent to previous addresses will not be processed. This email account is tied to your service project and not accessible in other ways, so you don't need to log in anywhere to check messages.

Emile Renaud March 10, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz ,

Thanks for your input thus far.

I'm looking into the proposed workaround and will revert back to you once implemented or if I have additional questions.

Regards,

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events